Engine rebuild???

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine in my 93 is starting to show signs that it is on its last leg.:(
I want to keep the truck so selling is not an option. After researching engine options I have been contemplating building another IDI while I continue to drive this one, until it dies or I get the other engine built. Looking at buying another 7.3, having it sleeved and getting a Type4 cam. Also go with some moose misters and one of Mel's various moosed pumps. Turbo selection yet is undecided. I am looking to get 300-350hp. Is this possible? If so what else needs to be done to get there?
Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just as a data point. I called promar engines. To get the long block with studs, typ 4 cam completely remaned was about 4k a few months ago. I don't remember if I spec'd the comp valve springs. I think so and I would provide them. A stock reman is 3300 I think?? That was me supplying the cam and them supplying the studs. That's all 8 cylinders sleaved and new pistons, head job etc. I'm undecided as of yet but just wanted to toss that out there for you.

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow oh wow!!! I just figured redoing the IDI would be easier and cheaper than an engine swap to another engine(6bt,DT360 or Detroit6-53t), but I guess not.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh trust me, that is definitely the high price option. I am in no way recommending it. Just trying to put an upper bound on the problem. It can be done much cheaper.

Edit: The other thing that gets you is a 3 year unlimited mile warranty.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rings, bearings, gaskets and giver!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep warranty is a good thing but it comes at a price with promar. Couple guys here have used them. (Goose and Oldbull come to mind). Like I said, I'm undecided as of yet because I haven't got mine torn down but it is one option.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the heads on mine rebuilt last year, that was about $900.(thats everything on the heads, seats, valves, springs, etc)
Then last fall the oil usage wasnt any better, so pulled the engine and still in the process of putting all back together.

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't use any oil. Valve covers leak but it does not use any. Started to have a bad knock the other day, haven't figured out yet. Just starting to think ahead

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
How old are the injectors. When the springs go bad the pop open much sooner and the sound is like a rod knock. You might have a bad injector making the noise. Crack open each injector when its running. See if any cylinder is making the noise.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm one step ahead of you right now.

My 4x4 has been on its last leg for the last 16000 miles. Finally let go on me last Saturday morning.

Ended up spinning 2 main bearings and STILL never lost 50 psi of oil pressure. I was wide open in 1st gear towing the trailer so I had an eye glued to the gauges. It was also using 1 quart every 50 miles. Constant oil smoke. Glow plugs would not start it because the compression was so low. Pulled one head and the sleeves were brown so those rings were not touching.

Anyway this winter I rebuilt a 7.3 with the intentions of replacing the 6.9. I got lucky and the rotating assembly was still good. Pistons were all in spec and bore was still useable. New valves, rings, gaskets, springs,local reman IP, popped injectors and used hypermax kit got me in right around $1500 on the engine another. Hoping it last me a little while.

So ya you can get away with cheap if your a gambling man.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Usually spinning a bearing ruins both the crank and the main bearing saddle. You may want to measure the main bearing diameter and see if its ok. Would be plenty of work and time rebuilding the engine only to find the block bearing web is too large from the spun bearing. If you need the specs I have them.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually spinning a bearing ruins both the crank and the main bearing saddle. You may want to measure the main bearing diameter and see if its ok. Would be plenty of work and time rebuilding the engine only to find the block bearing web is too large from the spun bearing. If you need the specs I have them.

Different engine. That one had nothing Salvageable internal.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
O. I C.... Did not read that. Glad thats cleared up. Seeing someone put time and money into something that may not work is bothersome to a few here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle