engine noisy after IP replacement

93iditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just finished putting a new lift pump, fuel filter, injector pump, BB injectors and a return line kit in my truck on sunday, i took my truck to work and set the timing with our pulse adapter to about 7-8 degrees. So my question is now in the morning when i start her up the motor is quite loud, sounds like my friends powerstroke when its cold, the only way i can explain it is it has more of a "crack" sound, is this normal? my old pump didnt do this.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
I think that is normal for retarded (or advanced!?!), go to 9.5 degrees, factory setting calls for 8.5 (+-2 degrees IIRC) but most here have found 9.5 works best for pump diesel nowdays.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well did you check the timing before you replaced all the parts... Nope... So you have no idea what the timing was set at. Now you hear the pump internal advance working like its supposed to work. A properly timed engine will have a psd rattle till the advance and the fast idle drop down to normal operation. Usually happens around 120 degrees coolaqnt for those that have an after market temp gauge. Running 7 to 8 degrees advance is leaving some preformance on the table. Move it up to 9.5 to 9.8 and it will run with the big boys. Make note.. It will have more of a psd caakle when its cold but thats not a problem... Just don't pound the metal till its warmed up.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Have mine set at 8.5 degrees and when they are cold in cold weather, ya need a set of ear plugs when ya pop the hood.:D

Replacing your worn IP and injectors from what you described as retarded timing. They will retard the timing as they wear.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
They will retard as they wear for sure. My pump is getting a bit long in the tooth and I need to re time it because i can feel the timing getting slacked off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faust