Engine mods

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Other than bolt ons and turbo's, what engine mods have you made to your engine. I know there are some with ported heads and polished precombustion chambers, but what else is there? Also, if you have done something, what did you gain?

Chris

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Nah...Im looking more for what people have done with stuff like custom cams, heads, pistons and other tricks. Im not in the market for a rebuild anytime soon since I think my engine has under 100K on it, I just am strting build my knowledge. It is power ya know.

Chris

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah...Im looking more for what people have done with stuff like custom cams, heads, pistons and other tricks. Im not in the market for a rebuild anytime soon since I think my engine has under 100K on it, I just am strting build my knowledge. It is power ya know.

Chris

From what i've heard there are really no cams or heads for these engines, only pistons that lower your compression ratio to help with more boost. There are really no aftermarket parts for these old engines save for the MoosePump and MooseInjectors (PLEASE!!! LOL) and bolt ons thats it pretty much. Plus these engines are only good for 300 horse MAX with stock bottom ends and even then it may only be for a few miles. Correct me if I am wrong on this guys.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Hey Brian! That's why I left my post to additives, not much you can do other than turbo, injectors and pump. Most everything else will cost more than the increase in power is worth.

So you gonna come get those parts? I'm not goning to be much help, I just had my elbow surgery last Thursday and NO using the right hand for 6 weeks.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These bottom ends will handle more than 300 hp. Just how high a person can go is up to you. I really don't think finding out what the hp rating iswarrants a test. Getting much over 350 hp is the tuff part. I'll let you guys know what I have after a dyno run with all the mods I have done. I really have no idea what my crank hp is at this time nor do I know what thr rear wheel hp numbers are. I promise to post them when I get them.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I didnt mean aftermarket heads, I meant porting and larger valves and such. With lighter pistons, and #20 of boost, I think there would be a good HP increase.

Chris

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Wasn't Typ4 running a cam?

EDIT: Also, there is a guy by the name of Dave Sponaugle on here. He is running a custom 6.9 with 20.25:1(i think) compression ratio, and near 30 psi of boost. He hasn't put it on a dyno, but he works it hard every day, and I imagine it has 50k+ miles by now.

tractorman86

Reaction score
Wasn't Typ4 running a cam?

EDIT: Also, there is a guy by the name of Dave Sponaugle on here. He is running a custom 6.9 with 20.25:1(i think) compression ratio, and near 30 psi of boost. He hasn't put it on a dyno, but he works it hard every day, and I imagine it has 50k+ miles by now.

someone round here said he had more like 18.5:1 he dosent post on here much unfortunatly. not sure about russ having a cam but there are a few who have claimed but never come through on an explanation yet.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I can see a custom grind cam working for it, but I have no clue how much lift you could get out of it. With a SC or NA, you would like to have a bit of favor on the exhaust side and I think the turbo would benefit from a better cam.

Chris