engine dead,ran with loss of power, then ran good again?

barry

Reaction score
I am confused as to what happened. I filled my drivers side tank with 15 gallons(how much does it hold?). I pulled out of the station and truck went 50 feet and lost power. I pulled into a parking lot and it wouldn't start. I turned on the electric fuel pump and cranked the bleeder screw on the F/W seperator and got some air out. I started the truck and it fired up but it would not stay running unless I keep pushing the "gas" pedal down. I let it run for a few minutes then drove the 1/2 mile home. In that 1/2 mile the truck had no power to speak of, just enough to move on it's own. I let it run for 15 minutes then drove it again and it was fine. I am guessing it had air the the lines? The fuel filter shouldn't be clogged as I has a glass inline one before it and it has some junk in it but nowhere near enough to be clogged.
any ideas

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked for water in the filter. Another possibility is the transfer pump just happened to give out about the same time you filled it up, might want to check the fuel pressure.

Could be trapped air or a leak too

Reaction score
I'm no expert but i had a 85 6.2 for 17 years and 250.000 miles and never put but 1 fuel pump on it mine was mechanical , but to your question if you have duel tanks some times the transfer switch fails to work when you depress it and will switch in a short time afterwards , the gage would be reading off the other tank . good luck !

barry

Reaction score
I only run off of 1 tank as I know the transfer swith is bad. I think it was just out of fuel and had air in the lines when I pulled out of the station