Electrical Problems with gauges

tkremer

Reaction score
Looking for help don't know where to start troubleshooting this. I am having issues with the factory gauges on my 88 f250 4x4 7.3. The gauges have been acting up for a year or two now. When I use the turn signals the oil pressure gauge will bounce as the signal flashes, when i use the power windows the oil pressure will also jump and it seems after the truck has been running a while the radio will shut off when I use the power windows. Another thing is as I increase the heater/AC blower control in the truck the temp gauge will increase. The battery gauge is always at the low end and will be in the red when I turn the lights on or have the blower on high. I have 1 new battery and 1 is a few years old so I dont think that is the problem. The alternator is old but the batteries seem to hold a decent charge. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of this kinda thing happening any help would be nice.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the connector to the dash gauges itself, I had one that worked loose causing similar problems, then start checking and cleaning all your grounds

tkremer

Reaction score
Ok I will tear into the dash tommorow and check connections. As far as the grounds go, do you think it would be a ground connection in the cab or like the main ground that goes from the battery to the engine. I looked at the main ground that terminates to the block/engine today and they are covered in a oil sludge, could that be causing a problem.:dunno

RWF350

Reaction score
If it's a ground problem, you'll be looking for body grounds. For example: cab to frame, cab to engine, dash to cab etc.

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the connector to the dash gauges itself, I had one that worked loose causing similar problems, then start checking and cleaning all your grounds

x2 on the grounds. I would be thinking more along the lines of body grounds. Checking connectors is also a good idea. Another thing that you might look at is the ignition switch. The metal tabs had a tendancy to loosen up and leave the base of the switch loose which in turn causes poor connections. Just a thought you have some wierd stuff goin on there.

nappy nate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first place I would look is in the dash behind the instrument cluster, theres got to be an un hooked , loose or dirty ground connecion right there around the heater controls and instrument cluster. I cant remember the exact location.
nate

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
the same thing is happening in my truck but its the water temp gauge that moves not the oil, its really funny cause it only happens when the blinker is on

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as grounds, as you start pulling things apart you will see several places where wires are just grounded off to the body...on mine I had a windshield leak that allowed water to run down behind the dash and into the floor....along its path it found a ground bolt on the kick panel near the emergency brake.

From my automotive electrical experience, 2 tips jump into my head....#1 - pull, inspect, and clean every connection you encounter....they will all fail at some point, so deal with it while you are there anyway, and #2 DO NOT BECOME NARROW MINDED...a ground problem can rear its head all over...go everywhere you see the effects....as you pointed out, you have a dash gauge problem...that is triggered by power windows, heater blower, etc etc....those are all seperate circuits, yet are all having an impact - spend as much time on them as you do on the dash itself.

And feel free to ask if you need wire colors, diagrams, etc...this is a great group and very eager to help

tkremer

Reaction score
Yesterday I was checking the instrument cluster, I could only pull it out so far due to the speedometer cable I did not remove that cable because I was not exactly sure how to and did not want to break something, but the connections I could see were fine. As far as the grounds go I did not see any connections under the steering wheel near the pedals. I guess the next place I will open up is under the radio there seemed to be all kinds of wires heading in that direction. I also removed and cleaned the main grounds that connect to the engine, and that did not help my problem any. One thing I noticed was the insulation on a positive cable that runs from the battery to the starter(i think) had a slit in it abot 3 inches long and there was a little corosion but it was not touching anything. Do you think that would have any drain on the battery? My batteries seem a little weak I have 1 new battery and one that is probally over 5 years old which I need to replace. I tested that voltage of the batteries they both give me a reading of around 12.8 volts when they are disconnected from each other, and when I start the truck I am getting a reading of 13.6 volts, just wondering if my alternator is going bad.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having mismatched batteries will just suck the life out of the good one. Alt is probably fine.
The speedo cable has a clip that you just push to release the cable from the head. . Drop the plastic cover under the column and check there for grounds, black wires, under screws.
The batteries and cables are not causing the jumpy gauges.

hayisforhorses

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you found out where the ground is for the instrument cluster tkremer? I am in the hunt for it for similar problems.

tkremer

Reaction score
I have not found my ground problem yet, I have not had time to tear into it. I did fix the problem with my radio shutting off when I use the power windows, my batteries were good but the alternator was bad. I guess it was not putting out enough voltage and whne I had a high load my voltage would drop causing the radio to shut down. I replaced the alternator and external voltage regulator and have had no problems. My gauges are still bouncing around when I use signals and the other things I had mentioned. I cleaned all the grounds under the hood, but have not found many in the cab. Next week if I get some time I am going to tear into the instrument cluster and radio compartment, if I find anything out I will let you know.