Electrical Issue

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Last evening, went out to close the windows on the truck and found the batteries to be down, has happened when it is just started and shut off several times, like in and out of the garage, move to mow, etc, frustrating but not a surprise as it has not been driven any distance in several days. Grabbed the battery charger to charge the batteries back up so the I could close up the truck, and be able to start it today since it was going to be driven today. I had my other vehicle sitting in the drive next to the truck and it had just been driven, I have a slight oil leak because someone did not get the filter tight enough when they changed it a few days ago......:angel: so it has an oil smell to it right now....

When I popped the hood on the truck there was a hot rubber odor, which I dismised as the car, so I opened the hood on the car and it was a different odor. So I went back to the truck, lowered the hood for a moment, and then re-opened it, I did not notice anything until I moved to the passenger headlight/battery area and I noticed the odor again. I quickly unhooked both batteries and the smell went away. I connected the pass. side batter along with the charger long enough to close the windows, and the odor returned. I made sure all the connections to the batteries were removed + and - and tucked away so they would not make contact.

I know that Ford Trucks have been known to have wiring issues, but on the 6.0 SuperDuty / Excursion trucks is there anything "common" in this area to look for a problem? It was late and I went to bed and have not looked at it yet, but was wanting to see if I could get some "known problem area" to start and work from there......

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
had the same type odor in same location on the 03 at work, ac compressor went bad. bearings locked up

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Saturday morning I'll bring over the clamp on meter and we'll see if it's high current draw and what wire(s) are cooking.... gonna have to be early on Saturday because me got's company coming over to camper on sat afternoon and a few brews will be going down....

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Nick, I do not think that is what it is..... The truck had not been driven with the air on in over a week at that point, and it had been sitting in the same place for over 24 hours when I noticed it. The only thing that had been done is put the windows down, and try to put them back up.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online