Electrical issue, please help

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will check the ohms from the case to ground. I ran to town, 2 hrs round trip, and got another VR from NAPA instead of Schucks. It ohms differant than the last.

We will see what happens.

It sounds like it would be hard to introduce a voltage on the Ignition wire that would burn it up.

Will let you know how it goes.
thanks again!

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I put the new VR on, All looked ok, no voltage at the field. Started it up ran it for a few minutes,
And what do you know, shut it off, and there is voltage at the field again. Just like before.

Now what ?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
some thing is blowing the regulators, double check the grounds?? Loose terminals in the connectors? I ran a ground wire from the alt to the reg mounting screws. You got a gremlin in there

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Does any body have a schematics of the charging circuit? Mel is right there should be no voltage at field with Ign off.Diodes could cause the problem because they go to the battery from the slip rings on the armature.Doug needs to check the source of all connections to the Voltage regulator-much as Type4 said.I just cant find my schametics on that circuit.I did speak to doug at lenth-so away we go.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online