Electrical gremlins

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Life has been insanely busy lately. I've been out of the country for a week, truck parked at home, Dad thought it would be hilarious to wire up an electric air horn like he has (which I detest) on MY truck. Stripped insulation off and soldered a lead into a wire next to pass battery (supposed to be the connected to factory horn), couldn't get enough juice with the horn on (like 1-2 V) to make it work. Left it like that. I was mad, cut the wires he added, taped them off as best I could, and headed out 180 miles back to college. No tachometer (although it moves slightly while cranking), when the headlights are on my right turn signal indicator is on (not blinking, just illuminated). Right turn signal works when it wants to, sometimes very slowly, sometimes not at all, sometimes just fine. I can only assume these problems are related, because all was well until someone messed with something. Any ideas on how to fix? My normal horn works fine. He better not try anything like this again. -cuss-cuss-cuss

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like he tapped in to the ground wire.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... Sounds like a ground issue but... Be kind to Dad. Seems he cared enough to try to surprise you with what he felt was cool. Could also be "things" got damp from sitting when you were away and Dad had nothing to do with the gremins. Be thankful you still have a Dad.... Sometimes when I'm down about a mechanical problem I think I will give my Dad a call but he has been passed on for 11 years now... Sure do miss him....

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He may have tapped into the ground wire, but did not cut it. Just spliced in, would that cause my problems? I'll certainly look for any other loose grounds. I did consider that these problems could be related to it just sitting for a week, but this truck routinely sits for a week without being driven (and sat for a year before I got it) and has never had any problems.

Wise words icanfixall... I'll try to be nice and thankful that he's still around, and is a GREAT Dad. I think I'm just going to highly recommend that he not mess with my truck any more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger