Electrical E4od fun, all sensors changed

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before anyone yells at me to do some research, I have looked and looked and I am not sure whats next or at least have a bad feeling. I bought the truck, it wasn't perfect. A few times it would start to hunt for a gear and RPMs would be all over (note not the speedo). well I got tired of it and started replacing everything since it was a new to me truck and I had bad feeling about the PO.

Replaced to following with all oem/motorcraft parts in this order:

1. MLPS (neutral safety)
2. VSS in the Pumpkin
3. Fluid in the RD to is wasn't dirty and the teeth looked good from what I recall

still random chaos at low speeds

4. All the Trans fluid and new drain pan/filter
much much better shifting and smoother operation with occasional hiccup

Then

Tach would sometimes wander so wanted to rule it out(or so i thought)
5. Tach sender

tps error
6. TPS

great for about a month or two which brings me to this past Sunday/Monday
Random hard shift, winding out rpm to a hard slam shift, high rpm and wont move like its stuck in between shifts, or working fine
Drove to work fine, then drove to lunch had some issues, then drove to scrap yard after work with all kinds of issues and finally got a code of 23 and 29.

The vss is brand new and the tps is as well which brings me to the PSOM. I did just correct this value for tire size and I was ultimately hoping it would fix my early shift issue where it dips to about 900rpm at 45 when shes warm.

Should I try to replace the PSOM from the salvage yard? Ideas?

sorry I rambled.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO SOME RESEARCH TMILLS! :rotflmao

just kidding brother lol.what years your truck? when you replaced the TPS what did you set her at idle/WOT?

Last edited:

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I set myself up! oops. critical info. 1992 250 ext cab 4x4. The original one was at 1.XX I set it to .97/.98 and I think it goes up to 3.8ish? I think thats what I found among other opinions. My PSOm value was 950 and I changed to 1031 for 245/78/16 at 3.55 gears

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats pretty low on the idle voltage but it shouldn't trigger code 23 i shouldn't think.did you remember to hold WOT during the scan? if not,23 might be a false code.

the speedo is working though right? checked the speedo memory fuse as well? i don't recall which one that is right off,but if your dome light is working when you open the door,then it's good.if not check the owners manual.even though the speedo will still work even if the memory fuse is blown the trans still can't shift right.

side note; you should probably bump your TPS idle voltage up to at least 1.1 (i prefer closer to 1.2)

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats pretty low on the idle voltage but it shouldn't trigger code 23 i shouldn't think.did you remember to hold WOT during the scan? if not,23 might be a false code.

the speedo is working though right? checked the speedo memory fuse as well? i don't recall which one that is right off,but if your dome light is working when you open the door,then it's good if not check the owners manual.even though the speedo will still work even if the memory fuse is blown the trans still can't shift right.

side note; you should probably bump your TPS idle voltage up to at least 1.1 (i prefer closer to 1.2)

speedo seems fine. and I checked 18 and 8 fuses and both ok.

I will bump it tomorrow. I have the dash apart to look at the PSOM since it was easy to get to and i have to change a bulb and take measurement for an arduino LCD guage :)

Could the Torque converter be going bad? It would probably be more consistent if it was..

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
nah i doubt it.when those go bad,they might not lock up when they should or not remained locked under load and or make bad noises,feel like your stuck in the mud at take off and or get shuttering and all with code 62.
probably worth trying a used psom.

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I swapped out the entire speedo and took it for a 8 mile test. While it didn't do any of the symptoms I am not completely convinced yet. Only time will tell. I do need to add about 49k miles. If I read correctly is looks like I need to cut speaker output, plug into the VSS wires and add a 12v. Then run a square wave and let it ride. may post some better details if it works because I could not find any pictures.

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Messing around with trying to get the mileage correct. Using simple cut headphone wire and my laptop. It is pretty touchy and it is going to take about 30 days (if my math is right) to add the 50k miles i need :/ That is going "70mph"

used this generator http://onlinetonegenerator.com/

You must be registered for see images attach

power supply

and the connections on the PSOM. mixing input didnt make a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSGEwYLBcJA&feature=youtu.be

Hope this helps