Electric hazards (F-series generally and diesel specific)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I recall quite a few threads on here about members having trucks burn down or near misses from electric issues. Tonight when I was driving home I smelled that sickening burning wire smell, and I could not trace it. I couldn't see any electric smoke or flames, but don;t want to wait till it gets that bad. I know the headlight relay mod is supposed to be the main thing that reduces the risk of this problem. It seems like there were a few other issues, in particular Midnight Rider brought up the issue of this fusible link that often goes bad and advised us all to just eliminate it with a 12ga piecce of wire. Anyone know what he was talking about (or Damen if you;re here I diefinitely value your input). Also any other ideas to help keep this from happening to my IDI? Also any links to a writeup on the headlight relay mod? It seems like a worthwhile project. Thanks for your consideration.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
i can attest to the voltage drop in older fords so having relays and heavy wiring to the headlamps is definatly a step in the right direction.

This shoukdnt apply to your truck but the newer ones that have the brake pressure switch on the end of the master cylinder, please get the updated parts!!!! I lost a beautiful 96 bronco because of that thing and luckily it was parted under a pavillion owned by the school.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
i know they did a recall on the abs sensor wire because it was a always hot non fused sensor that if it leaked could short and burn the truck to the ground i got mine done at the local dealer for free

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is non ABS so that shouldn't be a problem. Would dedicated matched space connectors, double the original gauge to the headlight and 2 off the shelf 40A relays be a step in the right direction?

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
defently the main issue is the factory undersized the wire and headlight switch connector especially when you start adding in lights to the factory wiring.

what i did for my headlights is left the switch totally alone but i used the wires at the headlight for the triggers to my relays.

as far as the headlight switch goes its not going to burn having 12 volts on it threw a small wire but when you add those factors with 2 55watt headlights and larger wiring drawing threw that switch it becomes a high resistance location and creates heat.

so instead of 15 amp 55watt lights running off the switch i have 2 separate relays they only require not even a full amp to engage

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
next up im going to do the same for the running lights.

i wouldnt worry about running a bigger wire to the headlight switch i would just use any output from that switch as a relay trigger only that way only maybe 3 amps would run threw that switch

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try and find where its cooking, unplug the batts when not using the truck jsut in case. they make switches you can turn so you don't have to unplug the battery too

i carry a fire extinguisher in the truck and have a few in the home. a fire extinguisher wont do too good if its in the truck and the truck is already burning;Really

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
For some reason, I've had two of my bricknose IDI's burn the big plastic wire-harness plug near the heater core box. The first one was in a '90 IDI ZF5 truck. That truck would stay running after I shut the key off, and the harness would start smoking near the plastic plug. The cure for that was to clean the negative battery cable connections on the block. After I cleaned those connections, the harness never smoked again. When I purchased the '88 in my sig, the harness was already burnt badly right at that same plug!

Back in '91, my father's friend bought a brand new F350 CC IDI SRW, and it burned to the ground 6 months later while pulling his monster boat over the coast range mtns here in OR. I can't remember what caused it. For having so little electronics, these trucks sure seem to have their fair share of electrical fires

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I recall quite a few threads on here about members having trucks burn down or near misses from electric issues. Tonight when I was driving home I smelled that sickening burning wire smell, and I could not trace it. I couldn't see any electric smoke or flames, but don;t want to wait till it gets that bad. I know the headlight relay mod is supposed to be the main thing that reduces the risk of this problem. It seems like there were a few other issues, in particular Midnight Rider brought up the issue of this fusible link that often goes bad and advised us all to just eliminate it with a 12ga piecce of wire. Anyone know what he was talking about (or Damen if you;re here I diefinitely value your input). Also any other ideas to help keep this from happening to my IDI? Also any links to a writeup on the headlight relay mod? It seems like a worthwhile project. Thanks for your consideration.

Here is the headlite mod. http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/8/039/article/Whiter_Whites_Brighter_Brights.html

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Check what the above has posted for melted wires or plugs. also check in the heater box. There is a switch in the ductwork that sometimes burns down. then you have only one heater fan speed.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason, I've had two of my bricknose IDI's burn the big plastic wire-harness plug near the hater core box. The first one was in a '90 IDI ZF5 truck. That truck would stay running after I shut the key off, and the harness would start smoking near the plastic plug. The cure for that was to clean the negative battery cable connections on the block. After I cleaned those connections, the harness never smoked again. When I purchased the '88 in my sig, the harness was already burnt badly right at that same plug!

Back in '91, my father's friend bought a brand new F350 CC IDI SRW, and it burned to the ground 6 months later while pulling his monster boat over the coast range mtns here in OR. I can't remember what caused it. For having so little electronics, these trucks sure seem to have their fair share of electrical fires
Seen the harness burn when the glowplug wiring shorts to the block by rubbing a wire through, water, even a plug that blew in half and the half was shorting. After the initial damage the insulation can get damaged and cause further shorting

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a bricknose that caught on fire when the headlight switch shorted out. The entire drivetrain went into my crew cab.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the slantnose (80-86) have that same main connector that Brianedwards just mentioned and that Gary often says is bad news? I have never been able to nail down for certain where the main truck wiring harness is. That is one thing I have done kind of wrong with this truck is a bunch of redneck wiring, most of it is better than stock and easy enough to isolate if it were ever to cause a problem but it is one giant cluster if you know what I mean.