Electric fuel pump

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old mech. lift pump is finally sucking air. Since I have to do something pretty soon how do I change to an electric pump, and how big of an electric pump do I need?

?Where did everyone tap their power from?
? Where did you place your pump?
? how did you adapt the fuel line into it?

I haven't been online much lately, butI will try top check in asap. Thanks in advance for the help.

discbrks

Reaction score
Carrier pump here too, compliments of GenLightening. Mine is mounted under the hood, to the passenger side battery tray. Wired mine in with a relay.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been avoiding the site bc I can't afford to drive the truck much right now, so I can wait. BTW my wife works for a parts house so I can get stuff at cost there.

tractorman86

Reaction score
do you run any alt fuels, wvo,wmo? if so i think a carrier or a holley blue will be your best bet. if just strait #2 a holley red will do just fine. i have a holley red. i just pulled a FUSED wire from the battery then to a toggle switch in the cab then to the pump which is about a half foot past the FSV

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i installed my pump right after the fuel selector valve and powered it with a relay off of a aux fuse panel i installed. the relay turns on from an ignition source with the key. you are supposed to also hook up a oil pressure switch in case of an accident and the engine stalls you wont keep pumping fuel out.

might want to also consider the carter fuel pump. they have much better isolation mounted and run much quieter than my holley. cant say i have any experaince with the carriar pump but they look nice.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have several gallons of cooking oil I plan on burning, but temps outside are putting that on hold for the winter.

As far as size of pump, what do I need in terms of psi and gph or cfm or whatever?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I have several gallons of cooking oil I plan on burning, but temps outside are putting that on hold for the winter.

As far as size of pump, what do I need in terms of psi and gph or cfm or whatever?

Stock pump is 7psi and 30gph. With the pump maxed out and running full throttle you can only use 20gph or so. You can go up to 10psi without doing the IP any harm and as far as gph:dunno The Holley runs like 100gph with most of it going back through the return lines, not sure if there's any benefit to having that much. I have the Facet Dura-Lift and it runs 7-11 psi and 30gph.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a carrier pump (Facet Dura Lift), its great, cheaper than a red too. I fabbed a bracket to mount it right where the old factory water separator used to be. I guess trucks newer though and probably doesn't have the mounting holes there.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put an elec. pump on my golf cart last year and I think it is a duralift. I only gave $20 for it. Did you put an inline flter on it or just use the factory one alone?

sureshot40sw

Reaction score
does anybody have a link to a writeup on this mod...? I gotta replace my entire fuel system and drain the tanks... where can I get an electric from... ?

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the holley red, hooked it in on framerail (as low as i could put it) about 2 feet from fuel selector valve, i put in a filter before the pump to protect it. i also installed a shut off valve before the filter so i dont get a diesel bath when i change the filter. i used a relay and i forget which wire i used to trigger the pump but when i turn the key on the pump starts. if i did it again, i would probably go with the carrier, as its up front under the hood and easier to install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online