Electric fuel pump

wolfman

Reaction score
Wanting to install electric fuel pump on 86 6.9. What is the best fuel pressure for this IP and should I just bypass the mechanical lift pump and leave it in place, or is there a plate available to cover the hole if I remove the lift pump.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any chevy big block fuel pump block off plate will work fine. They can be found in any auto parts store. Ot just use the gasket and make your own from whatever you have. Aluminum, steel or stainless steel. Just don't use wood. That would look tacky for sure. Do remove it. They have been known to spit the arm into the oil pan when they let go and do not force fuel thru it from the electric pump. When the diaphram breaks and it will, you will fill the oil pan with diesel. Then diluted oil will destroy the bearings and cylinders in short time.

wolfman

Reaction score
elec fuel pump

Thanks for the info. I will definitely remove the lift pump and block it off. Can you recommend the right fuel pressure from the electric pump. I've been told that if you run too much fuel pressure to the IP, that it will force fuel past the seals in the pump. Thanks