Electric fuel pump wiring

JDHJR

Reaction score
I am replacing the manual pump with an electric fuel pump on my 89. I want to wire it correctly with a relay and a safety cutoff on the oil pressure switch. I have searched and not been able to find a wiring diagram to help me and I can not get my head wrapped around how this needs to be wired. If anyone has any advice and/or a diagram they would share with me or can point me to a diagram it would be greatly appreciated.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your proposed safety cutoff switch can cause "no starts" as you will not have any oil pressure when you try to start it. You will need to temporally bypass the oil pressure switch when you start it. I don't know how this is done, but others here do.

ihc1470

Reaction score
This site should give you the information you need. https://www.wiringtoday.com/12-volt-relay-wiring-diagrams/
The diagram for the cooling fan will work for your fuel pump. Just ignore terminal 87 you will not need it.

You will need a oil pressure switch to control the relay, not a sensor. Then you will need to wire in a momentary normally open switch that you will need to activate when starting. It would tie into the same number 85 terminal as the oil ps.