Electric Fans,...More Power...?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You really don't need fans when cruising. Perhaps if you were cruising in the summer, while towing, with the ac on. A lot of air moves past the radiator when your driving.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I borrowed some expensive Duramax electric conversion fans from a friend and put them on my truck. I had two problems, the temp gauge started to climb fast and my alternator fried from all the extra amps.
If I was willing to do the alternator upgrade and install a good aluminum radiator, maybe it would have worked out better.
This hot Vegas heat doesnt help either but maybe some of you guys that live in the cooler regions, could benefit a little better from it.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
The little 30 amp cube relays are not sufficient in my opionion for a dual Taurus fan setup. I'm using contactors that are of the style you would expect to see for a starter circuit, but they have coils rated for continuous duty.

Yea Mel I thought about that later on and went with a GP relay just for grins and it has not let me down yet! Truth be told... the cube Bosch style never gave me a moments trouble..I did not get generic knock offs---these were heavy duty 40 amp Boschs..just wanted to go bigger to see whats what and the relay was lying around so in it went!
The whole e-fan thing on my part was beta ie: guinea pig so any improvements from others can only improve it!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yea Mel I thought about that later on and went with a GP relay just for grins and it has not let me down yet! Truth be told... the cube Bosch style never gave me a moments trouble..I did not get generic knock offs---these were heavy duty 40 amp Boschs..just wanted to go bigger to see whats what and the relay was lying around so in it went!
The whole e-fan thing on my part was beta ie: guinea pig so any improvements from others can only improve it!

The Spal fans Im running require an individual 70amp relay for each fan and it's wired up with 10 ga :eek: Big fans flat suck some juice.
Now that I've straightened out all the little problems, My fans basically only come on in town and when pulling hills standing on it hard and even then they will usually cycle off partway up a hill .Current fan switch turns on at 190 and off at 180 . I'm running a high flow 180 thermostat ( it's not a factory one, but it's made by the same folks )

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
If i'm not mistaken, dyoung has an electric fan setup on his 86. I rode it the other day, its got balls to say the least but remember its turbo'd

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I take my fan off in winter and I think I notice more power, might be in my head though. I do it in hopes of better mileage though

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I take my fan off in winter and I think I notice more power, might be in my head though. I do it in hopes of better mileage though

Bad thing is, winter is a bad time to check mileage with the crappy winter blend fuels around here! :)

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score

Bad thing is, winter is a bad time to check mileage with the crappy winter blend fuels around here! :)

bayou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a taurus fan on my sbc powered toyota pickup.
#1 they dont like mud or grit
#2 use heavy wire, good relays and the oversize fuses!
i fought with mine for 2 years finally got it right and still took it of because the grit/mud ate up fans. plus i like simplicity

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
Its been done already but not scientifically

Hmmm. This dyno run had the old machanical fan and no shroud on a Dyno Jet dyno with no rpm pickup. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNbXFBrOfmU&list=UUJW2LUDDMEaug1Qw7oTm25Q&index=12&feature=plcp

This dyno run had Windstar E-fans that were not turned on for the run because the temp was not high enough to turn them on yet. This on is a Dyno Dynamics Dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfmXfG7CfLs&list=UUJW2LUDDMEaug1Qw7oTm25Q&index=2&feature=plcp.

The differences between the two runs was a different operator, dyno, ambient air was cooler, no K&N filter just a paper element, ram air tube is missing, and more miles on the engine. Fuel pump timing and fuel settings remained unchanged between the two runs.

After doing the E-fan conversion I immediately noticed how much faster the Rpms would come up. During the summer in Tennessee I didn't have any trouble keeping the temp in check. However, I have yet to put a big load on it during the summer time... It would be better to see what one does before and after on the dyno the same day.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I dunno if the fans had that much effect on the horsepower you felt. My 85na seems dang near as powerful as my turbo'd 93. I'd say it's pretty comparable to a 460

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron