Electric Fans,...More Power...?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
K got these bad boys for my EL fan conversion and that's an IDI rad behind them too btw....I won't even be using a stock fan at all since I got these beasts!:D

You must be registered for see images attach

Whatcha all think they are off an 06 Chev 1ton IIRC ....hope they pull enough:eek: gets warm here in summer 100F+ or 40C on the road and some large hills!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Unless you are towing heavy, or in city traffic, you should fine with basically any kind of electric fan I would assume.

Whats really going to test the limits is towing heavy over grades, or towing heavy in the city with AC. The first one will be worse.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you are towing heavy, or in city traffic, you should fine with basically any kind of electric fan I would assume.

Whats really going to test the limits is towing heavy over grades, or towing heavy in the city with AC. The first one will be worse.

Naw...this rig is a wheeler not a tower...may tow 7 K max...but likely a argo on a small trailer or couple quads or sleds or small boat...nothin heavy..

But slow wheeling in hot hot weather with AC on may be similar since I'll have turbo going full freakin bore :D

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Nice looking set up;Sweet even if they are from a ...Chebby!
Damm..where were those when I did mine???

Only real change to mine that is still functioning BTWnafter about 5 years or so is a change in the relay...the orig plug in Bosch style got changed out to of all things...a glow plug relay:sly Holds the inrush and running load just fine! Now while mine are based on a Winstar setup..I did not see the need for using the variable speeds...only thing different is the need for auto engage at idle..or in the case of the OBS PSD triggered off the IVS on the loud pedal that fires a relay that fires another relay if the AC clutch is powered. Now the IVS is NC when above idle so no voltage is present till the IVS activates so it is nesc to use that 5th post on the Bosch relay or 87a or else you will be energizing the AC relay all the time......

If anyone is interested [and this new version allows it] the link to my version of E fans is in my sig....just click electric fans

hey really nice to see newer members digging thru the old stuff and researching :hail;Sweet That initself is what makes Oilburners the best place for old school trucks :cheers:

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think it's sad that it's 2012 and we still lack this basic info lol.

as for more pep.yeah.i felt the difference instantly and my fan clutch never even locked.
i would describe the performance of my truck when you mash the throttle on take off as going like a ***** ape.apparently matching the description of the truck you drove back in '05.
taking the fan off,my custom exhaust,and my cowl intake,all felt close to the same amount of gain.non of them "holy crap" but all easily felt.combine them,and you freed up some good power already there,pretty effortlessly.
iv been running the dual windstar ford fans for over a year now with outstanding results.
mostly required when loaded up heavy and or towing slow through towns or on the hills.

do you have a write up somewhere? i have been wondering about the same thing. i know a lot of guys over on FullSizeBronco use electric fans, but haven't been able to find much here. how much air do your fans move?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using a temperature controller, the fan wont come on unless your sitting in traffic. At highway speed they should be off...

Last edited:

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
I put on a 2 speed fan from a Crown Vic. I made brackets to bolt it to the original shroud and made a relay set up to have low speed come on when tripped by controller and high speed come on with A/C. I have a total of about $80 in it.

It takes a long time sitting at idle in the driveway for the fans to even come on.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Advance autoparts carries a thermostatic fan control with relays and all for around 15 bucks. I used it on my Flareside and it worked flawlessly. It also called for a wire to get spliced into the ac.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Been researching this quite a bit for the daughter's Commando...

Some good info I've found:

And here is the AZ part number/price:

There are a bunch of other wiring diagrams floating around the interweb- the one above I like because you always have an indicator light and it uses KISS.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what is the cfm of the stock fan? Also what is the name of that type of three way switch in that diagram? Or where would someone get a switch like that?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Stock fan is some astronomical number. Something like 10K plus or the likes. Once those things lock, at the govenor, they move some serious air.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if the stock fan hits 10K+ max, you can assume that at 2200 the fan will be right around 6K right? That rpm is pretty close to what most cruise at or close to that. But anyway, two fans out of a Ford Taurus each pushing 3K=6K. So my thinking was that at cruise speeds they would be pushing enough air or close to enough anyway. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The little 30 amp cube relays are not sufficient in my opionion for a dual Taurus fan setup. I'm using contactors that are of the style you would expect to see for a starter circuit, but they have coils rated for continuous duty.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you have a write up somewhere? i have been wondering about the same thing. i know a lot of guys over on FullSizeBronco use electric fans, but haven't been able to find much here. how much air do your fans move?

there really isn't all that much to it.its a simple follow your instincts fun easy mod.
remove your stock energy robber and once you fit the assembly down in,you'll look to see if something needs to be shaved.like the upper lip i shaved down so the fans could set closer to the rad for more clearance.the 3 corners just required pilot holes to be drilled,and then some self tappers.
i then used a bolt/ multi nut setup for the upper pass side due to it having an outset mount here.
then its just a matter of getting what you want to make them spin.
the ford windstar fans have approx 4400 cfm combined.i find they hardly need to come on,and when they do,its usually low or medium.if ever on high,it's for a very short duration.
i used the fk85 variable rate controller from here:
http://www.dccontrol.com/

i started with a normal relay based type that simply turned them on/off.the problem was the fans are just overkill on high,so i had to tone them down.

geonc's guide here was my inspiration.i just decided not to frig with the massive fan shroud because the e-fans are designed to work just fine in their own.the large stock one is so massive because the fan blade is.
if i was going to do it again,i probably would follow his advice on swapping out the larger motor for another short for easier/more room.shaving the shroud and being careful did work however as you can see.though,she's a tight fit.you could always spin the whole assembly and run it upside down.that would put the larger motor on the pass side.wouldn't hurt a thing.i decided to just see if it would fit,and it did,so i called it good.

8k lb empty truck.
Maine hilly terrain.-we have quick very,very steep hills.so your going up fast and getting it over with quickly before temps can hardly climb.
long drawn out large mountains,and towing heavy; your going to find much different results im sure.
100 degree temp days are few and far between.mainly 80-90's in summer.high sticky humidity.
i don't exceed the trucks towing capacity.im typically grossing 14-16k total max loaded up with wood/chips/towing chipper.

the fans work much more in the winter with the snow plow on,than summer heat working the truck by a large margin.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 7
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Latest posts