EGT theory, correct me if i'm wrong.

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently got my isspro pyrometer installed on my truck. It is installed at the number 8 cylinder in the manifold. My truck is still na, good reman pump not turned up, bb code objectors and return line kit from typ4, the pump is not timed yet. I noticed on my last hay run, I had right at a ton of hay on the flatbed. I have a very good grade to pull on my way to and from where I get my hay, well I had it in 4th and not really lugging the engine at all, I'd say about 2600 rpm and pulling hard.
Well my egt's climbed up to 1300 degrees and would have probably kept going except I slowed down and dropped a gear. Now I couldn't accelerate but i was not losing anymore ground.
I have removed the soup bowl and a k&n filter. Now I have a dual exhaust on this truck. It is a 2.25 all the way back, and its got some what looks like turbo mufflers on it that are pretty darn quiet.
I have been trying to think about how my egt's got that high. My thought, is perhaps the mufflers might be plugged, causing excessive heat to get trapped in the cylinders thusly not letting the engine exhale quickly enough. Does this sound like a logical reasoning? Or is this normal and i was just lugging the engine too much.
Now I was given a cat back system from a 6.0 and its a 3.5in all mandrel bent exhaust. I was thinking of getting the dynomax y-pipe and installing this on my truck to help it exhale better. What say you all?

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Improper timing can cause high egts also. What were I'd egts before the new pump and injectors?
A turbo can help cool things down too.:sly

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1300 seems pretty high for that. Sure the meter is accurate? You make sure not to cut the yellow feed wire?

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1300 dossent seem to be out of reason for these NA engines. Even from the factory the intake is chocked down reducing air flow. I've seen many stock 6.9 and 7.3 NA idi's hitting 1250 on the pyro like it was nothing. Especially onthe 6.9s.
I'm by no means saying that 1300 is good that's way more than I'd ever let my engine hit1100 is my personal limit. But these engines stock will hit that especially with a fresh fuel system supplying more than adequate fuel.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say get the truck timed and you'll notice a difference, I had high EGT probs after installing my pyro, then got the timing close to right- as close as I can get it with worn out injectors and the factory for lumiprobe meter- now its alot harder to get to the red zone in the pyro.

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1300 seems pretty high for that. Sure the meter is accurate? You make sure not to cut the yellow feed wire?

I'm pretty confident that the pyrometer is installed correctly, I was very careful on install and all wire routing. As far as timing, i don't think its retarded at all. If any thing it is just a hair advanced past the mark. I would love to get it timed, but I don't trust any of the shops around here to do it right.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I could get mine up to 1100° pretty easy when it was n/a and had true dual exhaust (with mufflers), and it was still climbing.

My turbo didnt seem to cool it down at all, but thats a subject for another day....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Lugging an engine builds heat fast. Dropping a gear cools down an engine because its moving more air for the fuel. Have you hauled the same load up the same hill in the same gear before. But now you have a pyro and actually are seeing whats going on...:dunno

wmoguy

Reaction score
my 94 w/ a new uhaul pump (and turbo'd w/ a partially melted turbine) could peg 1200 easy. I'd suspect an N/A would have no problem getting too hot based on that experience. OP said he was running at 2600 rpm. thats certainly not lugging her down

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have never even hit 1000, and have to try like hell to hit 950. even after i turned up my pump a bit (3 flats). its still na but from what i have discovered my IP was replaced and the fuel was turned down before it got it. someone told the guy who installed it that it was a "turbo" pump (has the "smoke/torque" screw) so it would need turned way down to work on a non-turbo...

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 94 w/ a new uhaul pump (and turbo'd w/ a partially melted turbine) could peg 1200 easy. I'd suspect an N/A would have no problem getting too hot based on that experience. OP said he was running at 2600 rpm. thats certainly not lugging her down

If he was at 2600 with his right foot to the floor and not gaining any speed, that could be considered lugging it.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty confident that the pyrometer is installed correctly, I was very careful on install and all wire routing. As far as timing, i don't think its retarded at all. If any thing it is just a hair advanced past the mark. I would love to get it timed, but I don't trust any of the shops around here to do it right.

The marks on the IP housing mean nothing unless you still have the factory original pump installed. IIRC they were used to static time the pumps at the factory.

rustnsuch

Reaction score
Loose the turbo mufflers. They are constipating your engine. Use Flowmasters etc... anything but turbo mufflers.

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The marks on the IP housing mean nothing unless you still have the factory original pump installed. IIRC they were used to static time the pumps at the factory.

Okay I was not aware of this. So technically speaking then I could have the potential to have retarded timing. Okay this may change things. I really need get this thing timed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online