EGT Limit for Banks Sidewinder Temp

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ironman03R said:
Just wondering.... has anyone ever had a meltdown? How hot and for how long was it? And if you melt a piston will the engine still run or will the "dead hole" be enough to shut the engine down?
I had the pyro on my old Scout (with a 3.2l Nissan IDI turbo) up to 1300 degrees post-turbo for about 10 minutes, the weekend after I bought the truck...I was young and dumb and didn't know that I was in the danger zone at all, let alone how deep in I was. I was towing a Chrysler LeBaron up a fairly nasty hill (8%, maybe? It's not labeled and is on a county road, and I've never been any good at judging that sort of thing) and was down to 25 mph in 2nd gear with the pedal to the floor. It took about a year for things to get visibly bad, though...but more and more blowby came out of the road draft tube until it looked like a teakettle (and there was enough crankcase pressure to crack the valve cover in two places :shocked: ). I actually drove the Scout for another 6 months before selling it to a guy who parted it out. The engine had less power than one would expect (which, on an SD-33T, isn't saying much), but other than the blowby and losing oil like crazy, it still drove okay...I was driving it every day until I bought the van...

I don't think I've gotten over 1000 degrees on the truck's pyro ;Sweet

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Ironman03R said:
Just wondering.... has anyone ever had a meltdown? How hot and for how long was it? And if you melt a piston will the engine still run or will the "dead hole" be enough to shut the engine down?

Good thing I found this thread...I was just wondering the same thing. Took my fiver out this weekend...about 8500#'s loaded and was hitting 1200° fast and would slow down to 35mph or so to not go over that. I would hold that temp for a couple minutes of so till I was over each pass. It was so hot I thought my carpet was going to melt (banks runs up/down pipes side by side on the pass side over the bellhousing). My old '86 6.9 with a banks would barely touch 900° with same trailer.

Although the engine appears to run well I am going to do a compression test just to check each hole. I do know there is a new exhaust leak under the engine that I am going to have to track down.

So bottom line 1200° on the up pipe at the turbo is OK for a few minutes? Sure got me scared. I am going to turn the pump down 3 flats and go from there. I want to hammer down and only see 900° like my old truck. I had to let off so much I wasn't getting a lot of boost...not to mention the cloud of dinosaur dust behind me!

-fiver

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online