ebay aluminum radiators

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took a hard run up the freeway, seems much better. Instead of my temp running at a constant 210-215 around town, its running at 190-200.

Amazing what the proper thermostat can do. I had a feeling this thing had the wrong one, just knowing the idiots I bought it from.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Motorad... Sounds nuclear to me.. Glad you got the correct stst now and its functioning right. It is surprising what some people do thinking its the right thing to do..

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took a hard run up the freeway, seems much better. Instead of my temp running at a constant 210-215 around town, its running at 190-200.

Amazing what the proper thermostat can do. I had a feeling this thing had the wrong one, just knowing the idiots I bought it from.

I bet it still gets hot when you pull a load up a hill. I hope it doesn't, but have a feeling the newer thermostat is just delaying the inevitable by a few degrees.

I believe you solved your own problem in one of your previous posts in this thread. It's your fan clutch. When it kicks in, your temps drop. They are famous for waiting too long to kick in.

I have a champion aluminum radiator also, and had the same problems as you. The aluminum radiator didn't solve it, bolting the fan solid solved my problem.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet it still gets hot when you pull a load up a hill. I hope it doesn't, but have a feeling the newer thermostat is just delaying the inevitable by a few degrees.

I believe you solved your own problem in one of your previous posts in this thread. It's your fan clutch. When it kicks in, your temps drop. They are famous for waiting too long to kick in.

I have a champion aluminum radiator also, and had the same problems as you. The aluminum radiator didn't solve it, bolting the fan solid solved my problem.

Yeah, you may be right. It wasnt too hot yet this morning when I took the hard freeway run, need a good steep grade to really see.

I have no problem driving with the fan locked, in fact I'd prefer it for better a/c when idling at stop lights.

How do you guys lock these up solid?

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Motorad... Sounds nuclear to me.. Glad you got the correct stst now and its functioning right. It is surprising what some people do thinking its the right thing to do..

Lol. Problem is Gary, people walk into an auto parts store and think because the store sells the part, that its right.
I've learned over the years that belonging to a forum for whatever type of vehicle you own, can be a big lifesaver for great tips and eliminating headaches.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is how I locked mine, with brackets directly to the pulley bolts. Some people lock the clutch itself, but you have to be careful and get the clutch screwed on really tight or when the engine quits the clutch can unscrew itself from the momentum of the heavy fan.

And if I still had the c6, I believe this mod would be a problem, using too much fuel and too much parasitic load on the engine, and also too much noise. But I have the zf with the overdrive and 35 inch tires, so my engine goes along at a pretty low rpm, so it works good for that setup. I only hear the fan when I get up to 2000rpm and above, which is really good when I am pulling something and need cooling, I just downshift and let it whir away.

You must be registered for see images attach

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
This is how I locked mine, with brackets directly to the pulley bolts. Some people lock the clutch itself, but you have to be careful and get the clutch screwed on really tight or when the engine quits the clutch can unscrew itself from the momentum of the heavy fan.

And if I still had the c6, I believe this mod would be a problem, using too much fuel and too much parasitic load on the engine, and also too much noise. But I have the zf with the overdrive and 35 inch tires, so my engine goes along at a pretty low rpm, so it works good for that setup. I only hear the fan when I get up to 2000rpm and above, which is really good when I am pulling something and need cooling, I just downshift and let it whir away.

You must be registered for see images attach

what thickness material did you use on those brackets?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The angle iron was only 1/8 thick or so, just like bed frame angle iron. It seems to be holding up well with no problems.

I didn't do any before and after mpg tests after locking the fan. I still get about 15mpg, that's with a 4 inch lift and 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears and the regular watered down fuel they sell now.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think I could do it. Is there a better then stock locking fan that doesnt crap out like our factory ones? I mean if this is such a problem I figure some brand out there my fix the issue.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think I could do it. Is there a better then stock locking fan that doesnt crap out like our factory ones? I mean if this is such a problem I figure some brand out there my fix the issue.

Dunno if they still exist, but back when I was a lot younger, we used something called a "Flex-Fan".
Solid mount to the pump, with thin metal or fiberglass blades that flattened out at higher rpm's.
Worked great, and were not too noisy. Of course, these were mostly on gas cars with open exhausts :)
<als>

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flex fans do not belong on a heavy pickup. the first time you down shift on a hill and rev it up the fan flattens out. effectively blocking any air flow through the radiator and not pulling any either. then you burn the heads up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online