early 99 to late 99 conversion

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
I have been bouncing back and fourth between the d66 turbo and late 99 conversion. I have an early 99 6 speed manual drw. I only tow my fifth wheel toy hauler and drive to town and back once and a while. about 4 to 5k miles on it a year. I like the quick spool of the stock turbo but at 19 lbs psi boost it starts to overspin or cavatate to 21 lbs then comes out of it and goes to 24 in 80 hp tow mode. I am wondering if anyone has any personal insight into this? I have tried to do several searchs but can find nothing. I have been looking into a few kits to convert out to late 99 to 03 and then use the new s300 sx66 bwd turbo with ett. I called bean diesel and asked about the d66 but he wasn't real helpful more so you want it or not so.......ya. has anyone used the d66 and towed 10k lb trailers or campers and if so where is the turbo lighting? has anyone just gone late 99 conversion and what would you do diff or the same? thanks for any info, don't have a lot of $ to spend on the same project twice.

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
I was talking to dennis at strickly diesel today and he had some very interesting points. I forgot to tell him that I wrapped the up pipes and added a turbo sock but he said the compresser wheel in my turbo is the one they replace the late 99's to 03's with to stock turbo surge or cavitation so he said mine shouldn't be but at about 1900 to 2k rpm the laters would do it. I wonder if the wrap and sock are creating to much drive pressure?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i'd go full T4 mount kit. at that point you would have endless turbo options essentially. Or you could drop a 38R in there, or for even less cost you could go with the new 2nd gen wicked wheel. it sounds like you goal here is to get rid of the surge.....if so then the WWII will do that.

are you sure it isn't the WG opening and closing?

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
i'd go full T4 mount kit. at that point you would have endless turbo options essentially. Or you could drop a 38R in there, or for even less cost you could go with the new 2nd gen wicked wheel. it sounds like you goal here is to get rid of the surge.....if so then the WWII will do that.

are you sure it isn't the WG opening and closing?

thanks for the info and yes I know the conversion would be best and have been looking into the borg warner s300 ett turbo and late 99 kit to get rid of this smaller surging early 99 turbo. the truck does all I want but the surge concerns me as to scattering the turbo a ways from home so really if I could just stop the surge which in turn stops the hemraging of my wallet I would go that route! lol I haven't tried 100 hp mode yet but 80 hp almost blows past the point so fast you don't hear it.

I don't know about the waste gate but I can tell you I disconnected the line to it and the dp tuner takes care of over boost signal so I don't know. this is the only sd truck I have owned otherwise all of mine have been obs psd's so no waste gates. i can say this though that rpm of engine isn't when it's happening it's always a sound that starts at 19 lbs of boost is louder and more complete at 20 psi and starts to fade at 21 and gone to the ear at 22 psi 6th or 5th gear doesn't matter. i did not wire the waste gate shut either left if open ( not wired shut ) because i had been warned about the early turbo over spinning as it was put to me, just incase it over spun i figured it could blow the waste gate if possible. can you post a link to the wwII wheel? i have only seen 24lbs psi from the turbo with cruise set in the hills and wind pulling my 34' toy hauler camper at 78 mph and that was in 80 hp mode on my dp tuner. i turned it down to 60 hp trying to keep it from hitting that 19 psi mark but it still needs to in the hills with the wind. really want to see what 100 hp does on egts and psi. 80 hp does real good on egts but loaded my toy hauler with sand rail is only 10k lbs.

any info is appreciated!

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
well I contacted dieselsite about the wwII http://www.dieselsite.com/wickedwheelwithfreepedestalo-rings-instock.aspx and I believe I talked to bob but not sure. he told me depending on the manuf date of the turbo itself it may have the late wheel in it and that he has seen a few early 99's with the late sd wheels in them and that what I am describing is what the late wheels are doing. he said this wwII wheel would do the job so I ordered one and should have it the end of the week so we'll see. he said it will spool up faster as well but this one already does very quickly for pulling my toyhauler which is only 10k lbs loaded. he also said it will help lower egts which I have no problem with now either but if it free's up a little mpg then that would be nice and faster spooling can't hurt. I know this for sure after I wrapped the up pipes and ex housing on the turbo with a turbo sock the turbo is more responsive once it's lit! no doubt about that one.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i know he said it will spool faster, but don't expect anything wild lol. many users have reported not that much increase in spool, but the wheel does get rid of the surge.

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
well I got the wheel in and it does start to boost in my truck 100 rpms sooner. I left the turbo sock off for the last trip to see if it was causing higher boost on flat ground, it was but the more responsive turbo the sock creates was missed in the wind with my toyhauler so it's going back on lol. also turbo whistle, well it did take the edge off this but didn't quiet it but atleast now it isn't soooo loud.

94 idi I think you might have been right on the wg! it wasn't that tight imo and only took 2 finger to throw it so I tightened it until the end was 3/4 of a hole off so it was pulled out to connect. this made it pretty tight how ever the wheel that came out was the stock one for the e99 not the late one. I was able to verify this from dieselite how ever I do have to say when you call they kind talk to ya like your waisting there time and when you have specific questions and email specific question and receive no reply twice I just can't say I will be calling again. I did email them for the tq specs and they gave me ford specs so I went with garret specs. it was not fun!! to remove the turbo and I do believe the wastegate might have been what I was hearing but can't say for sure and I was able to clearance the up pipe flange for the fuel recirc lines to the fuel reg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert