Early 99 PSD ROUGH START.......

chach3835

DIESEL BURNER HERE
Reaction score
Ok just bought the truck Tuesday and it sat from then till evening Thursday. I WILL SAY ROUGH STARTING IT, it took me about 10 min fighting with her to start finally it did. The guy told me he was told it needed either a GP relay or the GP replaced. The wait light comes on and stays on for a while, I have a feeling they are the original GP on this truck. I finally got it to start and she was blowing some white smoke at the begining then it went away. I know this is a tall tail sign of bad glow plugs. At least on my IDI it was. OK here is the thing I am going to get some GP and replace it Saturday but I have never owned a PSD and never done the GP , are they in the same area as the IDI or totally different then the IDI. Is it hard to replace them? INput guys any little help will guide me. :dunno I think the relay is ok that is just my hunch.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
the GPs are under the valve covers. you have to pull of the intercooler pipes and get the valve covers off. i think there is an upgrade for the valve cover harness, Nick will chime in with that i'm sure.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I would start with the simple stuff first and thats the relay. Even with a few plugs bad it should have started easier then that but with the relay out none would work. On the OBS it took about 2 hours to do a side I think it was. They are under the valve covers by the push rods you need a 10 MM 1/4 drive socket but you gotta watch some sockets are to long and get stuck against the rocker arms take your time not that hard just more stuff in the way

chach3835

DIESEL BURNER HERE
Reaction score
Is there a way to check the GP Relay??? Im going to give it an oil change, fuel filter and one of the batteries is new the other looks older than crap.... going to switch it out with an extra one to see if that helps.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to check the GP Relay??? Im going to give it an oil change, fuel filter and one of the batteries is new the other looks older than crap.... going to switch it out with an extra one to see if that helps.
Get that old battery out of there, not a good thing to only replace one battery. Replace it with the same brand and size as the new one if you can.
Gotta crank these PSD's over at least 200 RPM to get them started, 500 PSI on the HPOP. Cycle the GP's 2-3 times, might start quicker. I'd do that before changing the GP's.:thumbsup:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just like on your IDI, you can measure the DC voltage across those big lugs when the relay is energized. Should be close to zero volts.

chach3835

DIESEL BURNER HERE
Reaction score
OK guys thanks................I plan on doing an oil change, fuel filter change and air filter, then test the GP relay and swap that crappy battary out and see if my other one off my chevy truck will make a difference for now. She does seem to lag a little on the crank. I know that Diesel trucks need her full crank power for them to start up with no problems. Ill keep u posted. Does anyone know the Navistar part number on the GP relay?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
SD,s dont have the melt downs like the obs, they just come apart and need the clip to fix them.
best way to check GP and relay operation is with an amp meter around the big wire going tio the relay.
I have ad 12 v acrossed the relay bu very little amps.

chach3835

DIESEL BURNER HERE
Reaction score
I picked up a GP relay from ny IH dealer for 26 buck.........hell im replacing it Sat morning at that price why not. I could not believe the price what a rip off mark up by OEM. Ill keep u guys posted on what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online