E4OD shifts Hard when hot and Slow IDLE in Gear!!! Is this common???

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
I've read that the Electronic Transmission senses problems and turns the fluid to full line pressure to protect the tranny. Hopefully it's not to hard (or expensive$$$) of a fix. I pray and hope not.

That what the hard shifting is, "protection mode", it's designed to protect itself.
Good luck with the scan, hopefully it will be something simple AND INEXPENSIVE!

Chuck

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
nick did you ever find out what your problem was?? mine has just recently developed the same problem. i have already replaced my FIPL and Baro sensor within the specs writtin in the tips at the top of this forum. fluid and filter in the tranny changed about 20k miles ago.

nicksorenson

Reaction score
Well my Error light (OD OFF on the shifter) is still blinking. So I'm assuming there's still a problem somewhere. But... It seems to be working ok. So I'll probably just drive it.

But I'll let you know what seemed to help the torque converter staying locked. I had the range sensor changed on the side of the trans. That may help you.

Also, I checked all the wires and found some wearing insulation and cleaned all connections I could get to.

nick did you ever find out what your problem was?? mine has just recently developed the same problem. i have already replaced my FIPL and Baro sensor within the specs writtin in the tips at the top of this forum. fluid and filter in the tranny changed about 20k miles ago.

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
thanks i will check the range sensor out. i have a tach sensor on order at the moment. my od light works as it should. truck just seems to shift up and down hard. almost slams into gear

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Where did you get the tach sensor? What was the part number? Where does this get replaced on the vehicle....I am not certain about the location.

The voltage on the FIPL seems to be an interesting deal. I have read that it should be set between 1.1 and 1.2 @ idle.....I have mine at 1.2.

Thad

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
nick, a word to the wise. i know its tiresome to keep looking at the same problem, but if its throwing you a code (which it is) then you still have a problem and if it's not fixed you will be out a ride and posting "anyone have an E40D?"
if it was me i would put a trans temp sensor on and see how hot she gets when it starts shifting hard. everything shifts smooth when cold, thats why tranny stop leak and hard shifting lube is like honey.
also talk to the guys at the shop your going to if you have them do the filter and fluid, and see if there is a shift improver kit installed.
good luck man...im taking the easy way out for my E40D...its called Borg Warner.
I got tired of distributer gears stripping and coil packs burning out, so i bought a diesel.
Im getting tired of torque converters, now im getting a stick...see a trend?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Where did you get the tach sensor? What was the part number? Where does this get replaced on the vehicle....I am not certain about the location.

The voltage on the FIPL seems to be an interesting deal. I have read that it should be set between 1.1 and 1.2 @ idle.....I have mine at 1.2.

Thad

Tach senors is a Ford part.

The part looks like a big nut with two wires sticking out of it. Located on the timing gear cover.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online