E4OD shifts Hard when hot and Slow IDLE in Gear!!! Is this common???

nicksorenson

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I've got a new toy that I've been wrenching on. I finally got the engine up to ***** and it runs GREAT! I have a new problem now:

On a 30 minute hwy drive tonight I noticed the following... the truck shifts as smooth as silk when I first pull out of the driveway (nice and cool still) for about 10 minutes into it. Then when the fluid gets up to temperature it shifts hard as a brick and when the truck is stopped and in gear the engine is bogged down. IS this normal? Is it fixable?

I've read E4ODOA all over this site and hoping that this one's ok still. Seeing what others have to say.
Thanks!
Nick

aaklingler

Reaction score
Have you changed your fluid and filter? Have you checked your fipl? Is it giving any codes? Sounds like your torque converter is staying locked up.

nicksorenson

Reaction score
I think you could be right on the Torque Converter being locked up. What do you mean by codes? Fluid and Filter were changed 40,000 miles ago. Probably about due. Do I need to change the filter too or just fluid? I read most filters are not even close to clogged at 300k. Probably depends.

Also, what pin on the FIPL do I put the positive from my meter on? Do I leave the wiring harness plug on (I'm assuming?)

Last edited:

nicksorenson

Reaction score
Do I need a bigger trans cooler? Could that help?

I believe right now the trans has two steel lines (that look like brake lines), running to the grill, that hook to 3/8" hose and up to the tiny little trans cooler. That's all I see going on there. Is that right?

Last edited:

nicksorenson

Reaction score
UPDATE---Did some testing

I put my meter on the middle wire on the FILP harness and I got .9Vdc at idle position (engine off of course) and 4Vdc at Wide Open Throttle.

Is this OK?

.........Also, I cannot get my OverdriveOFF light on the stick to come on. I press it and press it and once in a while it'll blink on for a second but it will not come on.

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
I've been through some problems with my E40D & wound up buying a new one. I believe that my old one could have been saved if I had done what I am recommending you do.
Get the codes checked by someone that know what they are doing. See what the problem is & address it. I know that sounds remedial but I would have save a ***.
Chuck

nicksorenson

Reaction score
I had the low at .9volts. I just adjusted the FIPL to 1.1 on the low and 4.3 on the high. There are no gaps in between. I should check it again when the truck is hot and see if the results are the same. I can't see why they would be different but there's a chance.

I live about 30 minutes from the nearest Ford Dealership. CAn any shop pull the codes on the transmission?

nicksorenson

Reaction score
Will an OBDII code reader pick the codes up?

Also, I'm going to try changing the fluid just as a hopeful attempt (I will check the codes as well if I can get to a shop that can do it-we live very rurally).

When I change the fluid (and filter), how do I make sure I drain the Torque Converter?

Last edited:

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Is the OD light blinking? If not, your not going to get any codes. Did anything change after adjusting the FIPL?

nicksorenson

Reaction score
The OD (OFF) led isn't coming on at all. Once in a while when I press the switch it comes on but it never blinks repeatedly etc. I haven't driven the truck yet since I adjusted the Fuel Injection Possition Lever. I'll have to give it a run next time we make our 30 minute drive to town. The truck is smooth as silk when it's cool. Just when it gets to temp that shifts firm up.

Is the OD light blinking? If not, your not going to get any codes. Did anything change after adjusting the FIPL?

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having problems with my E4OD shifting erratically and the TC locking and unlocking all the time. The OD light was not blinking at all but would come on when I pushed the button. I was still able to retrieve codes with a code reader which indicated that the FIPL was sending intermitant signals to the TECA and that was causing all of my tranny problems. Replace the FIPL and solved the problems. By the way the old FIPL was giving good readings when tested with a new digital VOM meter and was only causing a problem when the truck was running. Look for a continuous memory code as well as any Key ON Engine OFF codes.

aaklingler

Reaction score
I believe an OBD-II will pull the codes, auto parts stores like auto zone will usually do it for free.

nicksorenson

Reaction score
Went to AutoZone today and they said the OBD-II is for 96 and newer vehicles. I forgot about that. Anyways, it goes to a shop tomorrow to be scanned. I changed the FIPL today. I don't think that'll do it, but you never know. It seems like it takes about a 20 minute drive to get it to start shifting hard and for the Bogging down of the engine in Drive. I'm assuming as one person here said that the Torque Converter is staying locked. That sounds right. That also may be the cause of the hard shifts. I've read that the Electronic Transmission senses problems and turns the fluid to full line pressure to protect the tranny. Hopefully it's not to hard (or expensive$$$) of a fix. I pray and hope not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance