E4od shifting funny

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Guys. I need some help on my e40d. Sometimes when I put it in drive the trans goes strait to third. Idi out it in 2 no change. If I put it in 1 it will go in to first. At the top of first I'll shift into 2 manually and it will go strait to third.

Then it will start working normally. Fluid Is clean an full. I think it's the throttle sensor on the IP but I've read about a tach sensor in the alternator. I don't have a garage right now and it's like 6 degrees. Where to look first ?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if I had to guess, it could be the TPS on the IP or the tack sensor on the IP gear tower. not sure where you read about a tack sensor in the alternator but I have never heard of such a thing.

since the E series don't have a tack in the gauge cluster it would be hard to tell if it goes bad.

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was driving a little different, but I was sure it was the TPS. Yea, the tach sensor fixed it.... Some consolation, there pretty easy to get at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the voltage is erratic through the throttle movement then it is bad. at idle it should be around 1.0v and at WOT it should be around 4.0v.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I just fixed a problem with my E4OD, in a 1993 E350 van 7.3L IDI N/A.

It was delaying shifting from 1st to 2nd.

Replaced the TPS on the injection pump – no change.

Replaced the MLPS on the driver side exterior of the transmission – no change.

Replaced the tach sensor mounted on the gearbox that the IP mounts to – no change.

Replaced the vehicle speed sensor located on the top of the rear differential – made the problem worse. The replacement sensor was an aftermarket part from O’Reillys. I installed a genuine Ford sensor and all the shifting problems went away. It was a five minute repair. Finding a genuine ford part was the biggest problem.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Mine was driving a little different, but I was sure it was the TPS. Yea, the tach sensor fixed it.... Some consolation, there pretty easy to get at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vans might be a little bit harder. I could get my tach sensor unscrewed 75% before it hit against the vacuum pump. I could have forced it but I doubt if I would have been able to get the new one in. So I pulled the pump, making a few modified wrenches in the process with a torch and grinder. A 1/4 drive 10mm crows foot on a 4" extension was needed on the lower bolt, after I pulled the serpentine belt tensioner out of the way.

Last edited:

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online