E4OD rebuild, What to upgrade?

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my ZF5 seller sold me trans so i have to get my truck together with 4x4. ( Tired of driving it looking like a 4x4 with no transfer case and front driveline) So I decided to rebuild the E4OD thats in my shop adn upgrade any weak components. Cmon E4OD guys, what parts should I upgrade while its apart?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
If the tranny is pre 95, you will have a lot of updates to do. All stock E4OD's 89-97 will have aluminum carriers unless they have been upgraded.

Starting from the rear. Reverse planet carrier. Toss it, replace it with a six pin steel part.

Low reverse frictions. You will find no stack clearance spec. You can get thicker steels or add more frictions and steels. You want to get this down around .20"-.40". This will get rid of the delayed reverse. You can go the easy route and use a shift kit. The kit will fix it too. I prefer both.:D

Center support. If it has a little bronz bushing (Pre 95). Toss it. Up grade to the bearing version (Post 95). While you have the center support out. Add a gasket available from Sonnax #36743G.

Change the forward planet to a six pin steel.

Change the overdrive planet to steel. This is a must. Get a new input shaft too.

Use a quality gasket set. Replace the sevo piston, if it has the snapring and plate. Toss them. The new servo will not need them.

Use new bearings, to do a better job. Replace the bushings.

Most important. Get a good Manual. ATSG is great and easy to get.:thumbsup:

If you plan on building the tranny to extreme duty. You will need a F5 or better yet F8 pump. If you have the E9 pump. (Pre95) change it to the F5 anyways.

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
trackspeeder,

You must rebuild these =]? Where do you suggest getting these parts? Is there like one place which makes it easier?

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep thinking i will go ahead adn rebuild it, but i really want to find a 5 speed. Decisions decisions, I just dont want to settle.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep thinking i will go ahead adn rebuild it, but i really want to find a 5 speed. Decisions decisions, I just dont want to settle.

don't settle! if you want the stick,then just hold out for it.otherwise you'll never be happy.
iv always had manuals in past trucks and simply didn't want one anymore so i made dang sure i got the auto.there is nothing like driving the truck you want.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
trackspeeder,

You must rebuild these =]? Where do you suggest getting these parts? Is there like one place which makes it easier?

www.transmissionpartsusa.com

www.racerxusa.com

Racer X will set you up with a heavy duty rebuild kit. It will contain quality seals, bearings and bushings.

Transmission parts for the odd ball stuff.

This should make shopping easy.:thumbsup:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the tranny is pre 95, you will have a lot of updates to do. All stock E4OD's 89-97 will have aluminum carriers unless they have been upgraded.

Starting from the rear. Reverse planet carrier. Toss it, replace it with a six pin steel part.

Low reverse frictions. You will find no stack clearance spec. You can get thicker steels or add more frictions and steels. You want to get this down around .20"-.40". This will get rid of the delayed reverse. You can go the easy route and use a shift kit. The kit will fix it too. I prefer both.:D

Center support. If it has a little bronz bushing (Pre 95). Toss it. Up grade to the bearing version (Post 95). While you have the center support out. Add a gasket available from Sonnax #36743G.

Change the forward planet to a six pin steel.

Change the overdrive planet to steel. This is a must. Get a new input shaft too.

Use a quality gasket set. Replace the sevo piston, if it has the snapring and plate. Toss them. The new servo will not need them.

Use new bearings, to do a better job. Replace the bushings.

Most important. Get a good Manual. ATSG is great and easy to get.:thumbsup:

If you plan on building the tranny to extreme duty. You will need a F5 or better yet F8 pump. If you have the E9 pump. (Pre95) change it to the F5 anyways.

Thanks for the info on the reverse clutch pack. I may go through mine again one day and do that.

Only thing I might suggest is to get both ATSG manuals that are available for the E4OD. One is the rebuild manual, and the other is the update manual.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who knows the story on RacerX? Is his first name Dave? Several years ago I was hunting around for info, and came across a complete rebuild procedure for the E4OD with pictures. I can't remember where I got it,(this is in the credits of the article . I am extremely grateful that Bill chose TDG to publish this writeup. -Dave) but copied the complete article, full size pictures and all, and stored it on my computer in a Word file. It looks like it would be handy to a lot of people with the E4OD but;

1. I only have dial-up and it's a 233mb file. I can go to the library or somewhere else with high speed and upload somewhere, but I cannot do this every foggy morning.

2. It would be great to put it into the tech files, but I am not sure if the original creator of the write-up would allow that. If someone knew who he was, maybe he would allow it.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Who knows the story on RacerX? Is his first name Dave? Several years ago I was hunting around for info, and came across a complete rebuild procedure for the E4OD with pictures. I can't remember where I got it,(this is in the credits of the article . I am extremely grateful that Bill chose TDG to publish this writeup. -Dave) but copied the complete article, full size pictures and all, and stored it on my computer in a Word file. It looks like it would be handy to a lot of people with the E4OD but;

1. I only have dial-up and it's a 233mb file. I can go to the library or somewhere else with high speed and upload somewhere, but I cannot do this every foggy morning.

2. It would be great to put it into the tech files, but I am not sure if the original creator of the write-up would allow that. If someone knew who he was, maybe he would allow it.

racerx is a upstanding guy..i dont believe it would bother him one bit,even tho i isnt him....:D