E4OD Died: Suddenly No Propulsion

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Borrowed a Ford van from my employer, and got the trans into the hands of Smilin' Bob, who has some experience with E4ODs.
Of course, me being me, my problems are never the easy ones. This one has him momentarily stumped.

You must be registered for see images attach

Pump, first planetary out, and clutch pack look good. However, this snap ring was LOOSE, although its spring plate looked OK.

Disassembly stopped at this point. Thoughts, gentlemen?

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
OK, a little Googling suggests that this snapring is the "overdrive piston return spring retaining ring," which is apparently known to pop out.

I'm reading that this issue can cause catastrophic failure for a 4R100, but only OD loss on an E4OD? Not the total loss of function I experienced?

Sonnax has an advanced design snapring, which promises to solve this issue?

Last edited:

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Not the foggiest idea whats wrong but am truly interested in learning.

If you hadn't noticed by now, Gary, my situations are usually out of the ordinary.

Glad I am able to provide a bit of entertainment and promote education with my offbeat automotive misfortune.

Actually, my whole adult life has been filled with offbeat automotive misfortune. Trust me on that one. LOL

EDIT: Here, Gary... brought popcorn for you, too! :popcorn:popcorn

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Borrowed a Ford van from my employer, and got the trans into the hands of Smilin' Bob, who has some experience with E4ODs.
Of course, me being me, my problems are never the easy ones. This one has him momentarily stumped.

Pump, first planetary out, and clutch pack look good. However, this snap ring was LOOSE, although its spring plate looked OK.

Disassembly stopped at this point. Thoughts, gentlemen?

Replace the OD snap ring with a spiral lock ring. Both Sonnax and TransGo offer this part. Its a must do upgrade.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
WELL, looks like no one's going to go out on a limb, to say that the OD snap ring will fix my failed trans.... :confused:

But I do recall clearly that overdrive DID function a couple of minutes before the complete failure.

So, Smilin' Bob will be reassembling the OD clutch pack with the Sonnax ring, and we'll see what happens. Not removing engine until after a test startup with the trans reinstalled. If it's still no go, the trans'll go to the shop that built it, which has a very good rep, for a full teardown and diagnosis.

But that startup will be late next week, at the earliest. :frustrate

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what's keeping you from a full teardown? if you have a guy who knows how to look at these monsters, I'd pull all of it apart. I don't know why you will just stop there.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Fair question, Calvin.

Smilin' Bob is doing this as a favor, on his own time, believing that my E4OD failed due to (a) bad OD planetary (b) bad pump. Our agreement was that this was as far as we'd go.

This was also intended as a peek at the general condition of the insides. They do look good to this level.

Beer will likely be payment for his time. Mission accomplished.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's still no go, the trans'll go to the shop that built it, which has a very good rep, for a full teardown and diagnosis.
I wouldn't, that spiral ring has been available for years, snap ring should have been replaced when rebuilt.

I've got $575 worth of tranny parts you can have, the box may be a little soggy and parts rusted, I don't know yet, they were under water in a small flood a couple of weeks ago.

Attachments

• DVC01827.JPG
    DVC01827.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 9
  • DVC01824.JPG
    DVC01824.JPG
    281.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a random question, what weighs more the auto or manual. I 'd think auto?

Good to hear your trannys back in business idi-eco........that didnt sound right when I re-read it lol

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
WELL, looks like no one's going to go out on a limb, to say that the OD snap ring will fix my failed trans.... :confused:

But I do recall clearly that overdrive DID function a couple of minutes before the complete failure.

So, Smilin' Bob will be reassembling the OD clutch pack with the Sonnax ring, and we'll see what happens. Not removing engine until after a test startup with the trans reinstalled. If it's still no go, the trans'll go to the shop that built it, which has a very good rep, for a full teardown and diagnosis.

But that startup will be late next week, at the earliest. :frustrate

Ok, I will go out on the limb and say this. It wont fix your transmission.

You have other issues going on. The OD snap ring is for fourth only. If it fails you don't have fourth gear.

You will need to dig deeper, tear into it a little more.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Ok, I will go out on the limb and say this. It wont fix your transmission..........

Thank you, trackspeeder, for taking the limb less traveled. Been resigning myself to this in recent days.

Beginning the search for another trans shop. Am consulting my very trusted VW mechanic and trusted tire-and-front-end guy for suggestions. :dunno