E4oD check valve

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A local transmission shop said to eliminate the check valve in the return line from the cooler. This valve screws into the tail section of the trans. with the line screwing into it. Any thoughts about this-is it needed?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not a good idea. Heres what will happen. Reasons for this check valve is to hold trans fluid in the torque converter when the engine shuts down. If its missing the fluid drains out and you have to wait for it to refill. Most will not like the length of wait time. That wait is every time you shut down the engine. Wanna smoke or a beer. the ****** mart is fast but your gonna wait to leave the lot. Also I would suggest finding another shop to deal with if thats their idea of what to do with a trans.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
iv never heard anyone say it should be removed.not a good idea.i too would like to know why he thought it would be a good idea.i wonder if he thinks it's a restriction or something.

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes restriction was said but I was leery about the reason it was there in the first place. I would like to use larger diameter lines when this was said.
This is the return line from the cooler and the torque converter is a long way up stream--just thinking.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Original line size for the E4OD trans was 5/16. Later it was upgraded to 3/8. A trans with the 5/16 lines can't easily be changed to the 3/8 line. What you need to do is drill out the trans body where that check valve threads in. And cut some new 3/8 np threads that are straight, not tapered. Your looking at around $50.00 in drill bit and special tap. Then the trans must be taken apart to drill and tap.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
For 3/8" lines just buy a 4R100 bypass set up. No drilling or other fiddling required. You can find them at a Ford dealer or junk yard. If you buy used it can be rebuilt cheaply with a Sonnax kit.

Do not remove the check valve. You will damage the tranny.

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trackspeeder can you give me more info to get the by pass you mentioned. where is it located and if I remove my fitting from trans then what.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Right side of the tranny. The bypass is ties both cooler lines together. Its purpose is to keep the unit from frying if there is blockage in the lines. They can be found on some 97 and all 98 E4OD's and all 4R100s.

It replaces your check valve and fittings. Now you can use 3/8' lines from the bypass to your cooler.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this is great info and is the way to go---note though there appears to be no check valve and if that is so then the check valve elimination was not a bad idea. The bypass kit is even better for the reasons given above. I am curious as to the reason for the check valve--was this just a bad idea from ford that didn't do what they thought it would do.

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trackspeeder would you care to comment further on this post???Thanks for your and fordf250hdxlt bypass information

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may stand to be corrected, there may be a ckeck valve in the bypass only, so no ckeck valve in the cooler circut as there are hollow bolts for the cooler lines now back to my original question.
Or could this be a controled bypass valve, I see in the bypass line, of some type?
Definition of a ckeck valve for me is to prevent reverse flow.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Rear fitting is a check valve. There is another check valve in the bypass. If there is a restriction in the output line, fluid will bypass from the output to the input fitting. This saves the rear section of the tranny.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The return flow thru the check valve supplies trans fluid and lubes the bearing and bushing in the rear part of the trans. Exactly what these surfaces are I have not determined but do not think we don't require flow back to this area of the trans., Remember this is cooled down fluid first.