E4OD 4x trans length???

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I have a possible pickle of scenario....NO I DO HAVE A PICKLE..:confused::confused:

Switching from my T19 4sp to a ZF 5sp has some drive shaft woes for me:puke:

My front shaft is too short and rear too long.

Could someone, anyone, please please measure an E4OD from bell housing to tcase adapter for length? I need to determine the best candidate for my scenario, seeing as no Bronco came with a ZF from the factory and it's so much longer than what I have.

My candidates are

AOD = 27.5 or so I am told on fullsizebronco

M5OD = 28" as I gave a quick measurement today, will confirm with straight edge and or plumb line for certain tomorrow.

E4OD

I have to locate the best closest to a ZF for me so I can get the Tug back on the road.

Oh ya, does anyone know if an 03 F350 Hydro is metric fittings or not?

Thanks any/everyone ;Sweet:hail

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an e4 sitting in the garage, so I'll measure if you don't hear back before I get home tonight. If memory serves, a ZF and C6 are the same length; the E4 is longer. Memory hasn't been serving well lately, so take that with a grain.

sassyrel

Reaction score
I have an e4 sitting in the garage, so I'll measure if you don't hear back before I get home tonight. If memory serves, a ZF and C6 are the same length; the E4 is longer. Memory hasn't been serving well lately, so take that with a grain.

e4 is much longer than a c6--

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like 31 5/8" to the back of the xfer case adapter housing, and the output shaft sticks out about an inch and a quarter past that.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
OK, a ZF 4x4 case is 26 1/4" long.

A ZF 4x4 is 5 1/4" shorter than an E4OD 4x4

So I am saying that the E4OD is 31.5" long. I no longer have the case to measure, but the T case shifter had 5 1/4" taken out of it, the driveshaft was lengthened 5 1/4" witl all new pipe and I had to move the crossmember up 5 1/4".

Hopefully that all makes sense and helps you out!!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....now I gotta go measure the C6 and see how long that is cause earlier Bronco's came with C6's so hmm...gotta find the closes to ZF so I can get correct shaft length.

Oh ya Goofey...Kudos to yer recollection of measurements.

Thanks to ya'll for responding quickly. gotta find those elusive shafts.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
An AOD will not handle the torque of a idi motor. Don't even try that...

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For guessing uning numbers from my swap, and being off by 1/8" of an inch....I was close!!!
As many times as I measured, I'm still suspicious of that extra 1/8". I had to do it from the top and not the bottom (no room to flip it), but I did grab a piece of angle iron and set it across the rear so I could take the pure length measurement in a straight line over the rear, rather than taking an erroneous measurement from the top of the bellhousing down to the rear of the housing.

I have a C6 in the truck, so I'll take that measurement this weekend if the answer doesn't appear before then.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
You know shortening a shaft is SFA to do. MAKE SURE TO USE A QUALITY SHOP THE FIRST TIME....ask me why I say this.

What length is your front shaft? Is it a double cardan shaft?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An AOD will not handle the torque of a idi motor. Don't even try that...

NO NO NO....I have a ZF I removed a 4sp and need new drive shafts Gary. Not an AOD....was using an AOD drive shaft or E4OD or M5OD which ever is closest to a ZF in overall length from block/bellhousing face to transfercase adapter face that's all Gary.

Had to unload a truck of apples...ON IT"S SIDE OVER A BANK :eek: today so not able to measure the M50D or C6 :( Oh well soon.

I don't know how many boxes bout near 20 ton of em, driver was ok sore back from flipping but she's ok.

Truck n trailer write offs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online