E40D Torque Converter Locking Issue

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission was rebuilt about 3 years ago and has about 9,000 miles on it. Just did a 2400 mile trip to the tip of Baja and back and on the way back I had an issue with the torque converter not locking until I get to about 3/4 throttle and could only get it to lock for a long period of time when in OD.

I assume its the FIPL but when I checked it the idle was 1.1 and WOT was 4.2. I am going to replace it anyways but wanted to see if there are any other places to look to as well.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Check your trun signal lights. If one of the rear bulb signal elements breaks and touches the brake light filament you will have no converter lock or intermitant lock and unlock. Any time you apply the brakes that unlocks the converter so the engine wont die when you come to a stop. Check the brake lits switch on the brake peddle too.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that was another issue I had, no turn signals on the way home and I think the problems came on around the same time... Ha! Go figure. I'll take a look and go from there!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
:D:angel: Lessons given free here... I leaned about the turn signal filament breaking and touching a brake lite filament after I built my first engine. On the test drive everytime I used the turn signals to the left the converter would lock and unlock...:eek: I thought I had really messed up some wireing till a member here told me what to look for...;Sweet So now I pass that tidbit along... Another tidbit is the fues that controls the cpu and the dome lite on a crew cab are the same plus... Ford used a sheet metal screw in the dome lite thats too long.... A member has his daughter sitting on the roof of his crewcab. And when he tried to drive home no trans shifting. So after much looking and testing he found the issue was that sheet metal screw had grounded the circut and blew the fuse. He removed the dome lite and discovered the too long screw. Ground it off some and no more fuse issues when his daughter sat on the roof of the truck....:angel: