E40D Advice - Electronic Prob vs. Mechanical? E40D Experts?

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I spend large dollars on a remaned Ford e40d, is there any chance that zero transfer of power could be electronic vs. mechanical?
Vehicle: 1994 e350 van, 7.3 idi with e40d transmission. Mileage: 156,000 - service duty, light, no towing

I drove this van from Phoenix to Flagstaff to Las Vegas to Napa, Calif with no issues. There seemed to be a rumbling that cleared with more pedal and Flagstaff Ford said it was fine??? There was plenty of fluid. After returning home, I took a short drive one day and made a turn onto another low speed limit highway and as I turned, I lost all power transfer to wheels with no catastrophic noises. I pulled pan and found no burnt fluid, plenty of shavings on pan magnet, and a dirty filter. Moving trans through gears offers no power transfer . . . .

Any thoughts?

gandalf

Reaction score
I would think that the first thing you might want to do is pull the codes on the transmission. Having said that, I have no idea where the port is, where you want to connect the code reader, on a van. Surely somebody here will know.

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree and will insist upon this before I commit all the way to a new trans . . . I remain suspicious because I was not putting any real demand on the trans at the time, no catastrophic failure noise, no bits in the pan, plenty of fluid, not burnt . . . . weird!

I would think that the first thing you might want to do is pull the codes on the transmission. Having said that, I have no idea where the port is, where you want to connect the code reader, on a van. Surely somebody here will know.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like something mechanical to me, I'm no expert on the e4od but I think electronics or not it will still move. Sounds like the pump may have crapped out or something simple though. If you look hard enough on the internet, somewhere there will be the procedure for checking the line pressure, seem's like it's done off a cooler line but don't know for sure.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd certainly check the codes before dropping coin on a new trans, but computer or not the e4od will still move. Has reverse been slow to engage recently? This seems to be one indication of a trans getting ready to let go. I think you're in for some expensive news.

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, no all was well D and R engaged quickly . . there was a rumbling (hunting) with the 3-4 shift but I cleared this with more pedal vs. allowing it to do this

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
so you have no forward or reverse gears, in either D or manual 1/2? if you have a constant state of "neutral" then it is internal. time to drop the trans?

i would plan on a rebuild.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Tranny is shot. Send it off for a rebuild.
Things to keep it from moving. Broken shaft, munched gear set, failed converter or pump.

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good question uuuummmmm lets see ..only answer is NO you can un plug the 2-plugs from the trans and still start and drive it .also *** stat ford said its fine yea thats where i would go for a rebuilt nnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooootttttttttt,first of all at the dealer you have to talk to the mechanics ,if you just bring youre truck in and sit in the waiting room like a putz they are just going to cash out on youre dime ,you have to be a pain in there **** ,tell them what you want ,and go throught the door that says employes only out in the shop where youre truck is and inquire about what they are doing dont be rude but let them know you are the boss ...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online