E fan mod test for Rodney Red Rad update

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Hey, just a thought here I am not certain if this would work but we used to occasionally insert restriction washers or restrictor plates in the location the thermostat normally would reside in something like these here. ;Sweet

You must be registered for see images

Perhaps playing with one of those maybe:confused:cookoo

When I was on the phone with the guy at Rodney Red, he had mentioned something about having to use those things on race cars that had similar issues , but he'd not yet run across a truck with the problem

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The big problem is because of the combination of things going on here, the dang fans keep wanting to come on too soon and basically never shut off once it gets up near operating temp no matter what I do to teh controller because I'm getting temp pulled off a different flow path than what is coming off the bottom of the rad and screwing up the works, so once I get the fan sensors in the upper rad hose to where they cant get a high enough reading to kick on until water that is actually hot enough to do it has actually made it's way through the thermostat, then the rad won't be getting overcooled, but that will require the modified thermostat to get enough steady water flow through the system to be getting more accurate readings.

I'm also toying with the idea of going to the big truck boneyard and seing if I can find an old set of air powered thermostatic louvers :D wouldn't take too much to cut them down to fit, but mostly because it would just look really cool :D

ahh.yup.i think you'll like that better.i didn't follow the recommendation for setting the probe in the lower at all.
i installed the probe for my variable rate controller directly in the center of the top of my rad and it's working perfectly there.the one i got,also had an option for a potentiometer to control it in the cab which is handy too.so if i want to try running her a little on the warm side to max fuel economy,i can tone her down to start spinning fans pre-hill.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin