dynamic timing: ford vs navistar?

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It reminds me of the published information that the turbo idi block has main webbs that are 100,000 wider than the non turbo blocks... So where do these measurements come from. Having seen the insides of turbo and non turbo blocks I have no idea where to measure.

Perhaps measure above the bearing journal? Fillet that connects to pan rail?

Just to make sure I'm reading it right, the HPCA is commonly known as the cold idle advance, right?

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have the Kent-Moore, then go with that.

Otherwise just use the Quartz pickup on #1 or #4 line with a good timing light like the Actron CP7529. You can set the RPM and the timing advance degrees, when the damper line, lines up with the 0 on the timing tab, your timed to whatever you want the BTDC degrees, commonly 8.5* to start out with. All diesel engines time different at degrees depending on the quality of the IP and injectors, that is if the injectors are set at 1850# - 1900# Pop PSI.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?42782-Timing-a-7-3-with-a-Ferret-adapter

siegler

Reaction score
If you have the Kent-Moore, then go with that.

Otherwise just use the Quartz pickup on #1 or #4 line with a good timing light like the Actron CP7529. You can set the RPM and the timing advance degrees, when the damper line, lines up with the 0 on the timing tab, your timed to whatever you want the BTDC degrees, commonly 8.5* to start out with. All diesel engines time different at degrees depending on the quality of the IP and injectors, that is if the injectors are set at 1850# - 1900# Pop PSI.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?42782-Timing-a-7-3-with-a-Ferret-adapter

That's what I did. I used a ferret pick up and an adjustable timing light. My engine is set to 9* btdc right now. I was just curious about Navistar calling out 3.5* btdc.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Agnem

Whats yer take on differences in timing?

I didn't have time to look at the posted manual pages, but if it is indeed 3.5 and not 8.5, I too would believe it's a misprint. I do S-1600 trucks and set them to 8.5 just like the rest of the fleet, and get no complaints from the owners. An N/A IDI in a medium duty is a pretty gutless wonder even at 8.5, and with the lower governed speed, setting them to 3.5 would result in most owners selling them in a heartbeat. I can't imagine anybody being happy with that. That said, IH tuned these engines to last forever with the foot to the floor at maximum load. 3.5 could be part of that strategy.