???? dying engine...

sassyrel

Reaction score
the old girl,,finally started to act up..339,480!!!!!! changed the lift pump,,cleaned the filter bowl,,and changed filter...fire up,head down the road,,could be 5 minutes later,1 minute,,changes..check engine light comes on,,and starts to stall out,,then catches. may run ok for a changing period of time,then does same thing. never kills tho. hooked up my snap on scanner,,NO CODES!!! neighbor next door is full time tech on all brands,,thought maybe scanner was lying..NOPE,,he couldnt get any codes either.ran down the road with scanner hooked up--NO CODES!!! starting to fire me up.. any thoughts,anyone?????????

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have you run a buzz and contribution test?replaced CPS?when was the last time injector orings were replaced?keep the scanner on it till the CEL comes on again,stop and check codes,DO NOT shut it off as this will clear the code if its a soft code.also check the fuel heater and make sure it isnt shorting out inside the fuel filter housing

sassyrel

Reaction score
have you run a buzz and contribution test?replaced CPS?when was the last time injector orings were replaced?keep the scanner on it till the CEL comes on again,stop and check codes,DO NOT shut it off as this will clear the code if its a soft code.also check the fuel heater and make sure it isnt shorting out inside the fuel filter housing

when it runs,,it runs fine,,and starts fine...no black in the fuel filter bowl..checked all the pins,,in and out,,on the harness..had the scanner hooked up..going down the road,,i said that,,no codes...and the crank oil aint rising,and fuel filter aint black,so wouldnt think that the orings are toast..but i didnt run a buzz test..cps replaced last week,when it started this..keep going,,im ears:):):)

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what year is the truck?

lookin for black gunk or oil in the fuel is not 100% fool proof on diagnosing the orings.wont tell you if the upper orings are gone.they wont put fuel in the oil as the oil pressure is alot higher than the 60 psi of fuel pressure.

could have a dirty IPR valve.bad IPR orings.shorting fuel heater.you said the cel does come on when it starts to act up.keep the scanner on it and wait for the CEL to pop on again,pull over and check the codes right then,do not shut it off as it will erase a soft code.

run a buzz and contribution test.it may be as simple as a couple bad injectors.

sassyrel

Reaction score
what year is the truck?

lookin for black gunk or oil in the fuel is not 100% fool proof on diagnosing the orings.wont tell you if the upper orings are gone.they wont put fuel in the oil as the oil pressure is alot higher than the 60 psi of fuel pressure.

could have a dirty IPR valve.bad IPR orings.shorting fuel heater.you said the cel does come on when it starts to act up.keep the scanner on it and wait for the CEL to pop on again,pull over and check the codes right then,do not shut it off as it will erase a soft code.

run a buzz and contribution test.it may be as simple as a couple bad injectors.

fuel heater dis long ago..cel will come on,,but the scanner says no codes....and near kills the truck,,96..didnt shut off,,it near did it thru the scanner...was thinking about the ipr rings,,as this came on slowly...but the fire burnt one i rebuilt,,tho it got hot enough to burn,,with a diff coil,,it would near run..but then again,,i know murphy personally....give me a day to try some things,,and ill get back..thanks,

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the old girl,,finally started to act up..339,480!!!!!! changed the lift pump,,cleaned the filter bowl,,and changed filter...fire up,head down the road,,could be 5 minutes later,1 minute,,changes..check engine light comes on,,and starts to stall out,,then catches. may run ok for a changing period of time,then does same thing. never kills tho. hooked up my snap on scanner,,NO CODES!!! neighbor next door is full time tech on all brands,,thought maybe scanner was lying..NOPE,,he couldnt get any codes either.ran down the road with scanner hooked up--NO CODES!!! starting to fire me up.. any thoughts,anyone?????????

"the old girl" must be a secret what year it is.

My guess is that the UVCH is screwing up on one side or the other. My 99 did that for 980 miles then quit all together. I only have two connections, you may have four.

You won't get any codes if that is the case, I never did with my AE reader. Just the CEL on and off.

sassyrel

Reaction score
96 OB,,,,,,,guy on old site, baz,,good guy,,said to clean the screen,where the pressure reg attaches to the fuel filter bowl............................guess what??? yeeeehahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! and if you ever need a rebuilt comp,,or idm,, http://www.autocomputerexchange.com/Sw/wizard ...everyone else,,wanted 350 to 500 for a used or rebuilt idm..these people get 169!!!!!

sassyrel

Reaction score
and baz said,,that they think it is o ring material from something...so pull yours guys,,and clean that screen.......................

sassyrel

Reaction score
finally!! had time to pull the screen on the backside of the reg....HOLY SNICKELS!!!! the back side,,towards the fuel bowl..looked like it had liquid tar on it!!!!!! took off what i could,,with a small wire brush,,then soaked it in acetone[fingernail polish remover] kept brushing it,,then blew breath thru,,clean!!!!!! runs like a top!!!!!!!!!!! no icm problem!!!!!!