DYED FUEL?

Denver95327

Denver95327
Reaction score
Is there any reason why you should not run dyed fuel in the old 6.2 chevy diesels? I heard on the newer ones that is will tear up the injectors. Please let me know what you guys have heard or or experienced with this. Thanks for your time.

sassyrel

Reaction score
as rubber said----also--someone was telling me the newer chevys have a sensor of some type that knows if dyed fuel is in there---i wonder what happens to the red color if you add 2 qts of strained used motor oil to it??????:D :D did you know its legal to add used motor oil of your own oil drains to your fuel????? yup!!:D :D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as rubber said----also--someone was telling me the newer chevys have a sensor of some type that knows if dyed fuel is in there---i wonder what happens to the red color if you add 2 qts of strained used motor oil to it??????:D :D did you know its legal to add used motor oil of your own oil drains to your fuel????? yup!!:D :D

Here's the only sensor of using dyed off road fuel on the highway I've ever heard about.

You must be registered for see images attach

It's #2 diesel. It's illegal which is the only reason not to run it. The fines can be in the thousands of dollars. Run it if you want too, but if you get caught don't cry, it's only money.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
ROFL, what if somebody pissed you off and you poured some dyed fuel into their tank and they got caught? The look on their face alone would be priceless.

MMeier

Reaction score
ROFL, what if somebody pissed you off and you poured some dyed fuel into their tank and they got caught? The look on their face alone would be priceless.

Even with the price of red around here, I think I'll put it in my tanks before I put it in someone elses! ;Really

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being from a farming community I know that dyed fuel has no negative effect whatsoever unless you get checked by the police. And mixing in WO is s nice way to stretch fuel if you aren't too worried about coloring - which isn't the biggest worry to have in some areas.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
The only issue i Know concerning running dyed fuel is it gums up the pollution crap on the new 6.4 as far as i hear. (other than the legal ramifications) i would like to hear more about the sensor in the new duramax that knows if dyed fuel is being burned.

Desert Dually

cane corso
Reaction score
I have heard that the 6.5 turbodiesel has something called an "optical sensor" that will cause problems if it cannot "see" thru the fuel. So WMO (waste motor oil) doesnt work in those motors, but I think red dyed fuel is still somewhat translucent, so it will run.

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
I run dyed in every thing around here including my 6.4. I talked to Ford direct and they have no problem with dyed fuel as long as it's ultra low sulfur. Another fix for dyed fuel is a little WMO into the tank, doesn't take much.

nukinfuts

95 powerstroke
Reaction score
I had a 2003 Sprinter that the dyed fuel caused all kinds of problems after an "accidental" fill of off road diesel..

$700 later it was back on the road.. New fuel filters, several new sensors, and nobody could explain to me why it would not run on dyed fuel...

jdchristian3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dyed/off highway is now 500ppm sulfur. used to be unlimited. undyed/on-highway is now 15ppm sulfur. used to be 500ppm. ford-6.0L and back are designed for at least 500ppm. any less, and you start to see problems-injectors, pumps, general fuel system pressurization failures. 6.5turbo and back chevy/gmc. non-commonrail cummins and back. basically any HUEI, or mechanical/semi-mechanical injection system will have issues. as long as it doesnt have after treatment or a CP3 pump, you need 500ppm, or a very high quality additive (i use standyne's products in everthing... even the d-max). better mileage, less rattle, less wear. dyed fuel comes with the price of possible citations tho. in VA its like 1000 bucks plus a per gallon fine (like $1000 plus i think it's $20 per gallon of your tank's capacity) if you get dipped...

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Our fuel in Manitoba is all ultra low dyed or not, so we dope it so our trucks and tractors live. $1000 a gallon fine, holy ^#&*&% now that's a deterrent. Our is only $580 flat fine no matter how much ya got in there. I've been dipped twice but a little WMO in the tank fooled em. They also do random dips at schools and parking lots to but a locking cap fix's that.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our fuel in Manitoba is all ultra low dyed or not, so we dope it so our trucks and tractors live. $1000 a gallon fine, holy ^#&*&% now that's a deterrent. Our is only $580 flat fine no matter how much ya got in there. I've been dipped twice but a little WMO in the tank fooled em. They also do random dips at schools and parking lots to but a locking cap fix's that.

Random dipping??? Man, I didn't know Canada did that. Around here, they only do that when you get pulled over. I have heard that places have done dipping, like seat belt road blocks, but I've never personally experienced it.

This is farming area, so I'm sure there are people who run dyed. But I am interested in hearing about these certain diesels who didn't run very when when dyed was used.