Dusted IDI.. rebuild options?

slvrwrx

yeah, son
Reaction score
I've got an 88 IDI 7.3 with a banks turbocharger.. random setup. I bought it thiswAy. Apparently the guy pulled a heavy load. The random setup had some flex tube aluminum crap like a dryer hose and it flaked off over the years into the turbo and intake. It had low compression and smoked a lot of unburned whitish smoke.. it also hadbeen running water only in the radiator (no sca) for who knows how long. Also boosting 10 psi. So now it won't start and I'm weighing my options. Cummins 12v? Rebuild mine? I want boost still stock idi is too weak. I'm trying to keep the cost down as I don't have a lot of money to spend..

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keeping cost down and swapping in a Cummins are mutually exclusive. With that said, rebuilds aren't free either. Parts and machine work will put you several thousand dollars out of pocket. Still cheaper to rebuild than to repower.

If that turbo is shot, that'll add some more clams to the bake as well.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your statement is asking for something and not willing to pay for it... Its just not p[ossible to swap in a cummins without lots of money being spent nor is it practical to think rebuilding these simple engines will be cheap either. The amount on money spent on an idi rebuild depends on how far you want to go. One must completelt disassemble the engine. Mic all the wear surfaces and then design a rebuild plan on whats really worn. Usually the cranks and oil pumps are fine. We generally don't feel the oil pump needs to be replaced. The Melling pumps are suspect for quality anyway. The cranks run so slowly they almost never require turning down too. What does wear and cause low oil pressure is the oil pressure regulater spring thats found in the rear oil cooler header. Thats only repalceable when you buy the complete header. No repair parts available sadly.. So before anyone can tell you what the cost of an overhaul will cost the parts and machining needed will habe to be known. Most here will tell you to keep the idi because its cheaper to repair and much easier too. The cummins is only 360 cubic inches compared to the 7.3 at 445 cubic inches... Big is better in this case but hp and torque are easier to find in the cummins... But its going to cost you more than in the idi engine.. You will never find the same hp in the idi that you can in the cummins... Thats apples and oranges comparrosions.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on how long you plan on keeping the truck. If you want good reliable running gear for many miles, I would tear it down and rebuild your current engine. This option will allow peace of mind for many miles to come. Swapping a cummins, like previously stated, will cost more gold bullion. I would rebuild the engine that is in your rig if I were you.
You can always go with a reman too! http://www.promarengine.com/
From what I hear, Promar makes great remanufactured idi engines.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want boost still stock idi is too weak. I'm trying to keep the cost down as I don't have a lot of money to spend..
welcome to the site. good to see another local posting. most locals here are lurkers.
i will never call a N/A truck weak. with the right combination, they will climb up the side of a building with no effort. heck, I just got my GV broken in half by another member driving the truck "normally"
IF YOU ARE TRULLY ON A BUDGET and not just being a cheap *****, finding a good used donor truck is your best bet.
a cummins conversion will easily eat up $10k in parts and LABOR.
if you are serious in saving money and can do most of your own labor, start looking through CL for a donor truck.
good luck!

slvrwrx

yeah, son
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. So I found a 6.9 from an 87. I have an 88 7.3. The engine is only 83k miles. Am I stupid for trying to put the smaller 6.9 in instead of the 7.3? The 6.9 will cost me 500 bucks. I figure I will be close to same hp and tq numbers once I put my turbo on the non turbo 6.9.

..and I've been a lurker for a while now lol

Last edited:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is virtually no power difference between the two engines. You would be smart for doing so. But I would still recommend at least pulling heads off and putting new gaskets and studs in. That way you don't have to ever worry about head gasket problems.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you get to hear it run and check for blowby before it was pulled out of the truck?
you won't notice the difference in power between the 6.9 and the 7.3.

slvrwrx

yeah, son
Reaction score
Yea its a good motor I've heard it run. So before I put it in I should pull the heads replace the head gaskets and put aftermarket studs in? Is that it? And arp? Or another company does anyone have any suggestions since I will be boosted? If I have a studded stock 6.9 how much boost will it handle safely?

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
actually, if you have the motor out. I would spend the money and re-do the gaskets and stud it. The 6.9 has the smaller head bolts, the arp studs give you peace of mind. I am sure there are other companies that do studs, however coming from the land of the 7m supra. I learned LONG ago, ARP or you will be very sorry.

I've heard of boost numbers into the 20's on studs. Personally I wouldn't go quite that high, cuz I'm chicken, and I'm not out to set a speed record in my truck.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on how far you want to go. I would definitely put new gaskets and ARP studs in. I would also take heads to a cylinder head rebuilder and have them inspect and/or rebuild your heads while they are off. I would also put new o-rings in your oil cooler while engine is out of truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faust

Members online