Duralift pump failure...? Its the ooze..

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed a Duralift from GenLightning back in Nov 2013. Had no issues at all with daily driving. Truck remained parked in my warehouse from July 2014 until yesterday (Mid August 2015). Aside from having to give her a little jump to get fired, everything seemed normal. I ended up running about ~250 miles doing a shuttle run last night. Halfway through my trip, the truck began to act as if it lost half its torque/hp. Still running fine mind you, but as if it was de-rated.

This morning, I find that the pump is silent. The relay is good, it has power all the way up to the DuraLift's plug. Direct connection to battery has zero effect.

I also noticed some black ooze seeping from the power wire grommet onto the top of the pump that was not there yesterday during my pretrip inspection. The ooze is tacky, and does not come off the pump onto my finger.

Has anyone seen a failure such as this? What sort of manufacturers warranty was on these jokers? Is there a way to disassemble this and possibly repair it? I see GenLightning hasnt been active since February, else I'd ask him. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your sig mentions something about waste oil...don't know if that would have an effect or not. I've had a Duralift for several years now and haven't had an issue.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have never heard of this kind of failure with these pumps. As many hours these pumps run when connected to the refer units on most al refrigerated trailers going otr trucking. I find it odd that you have the failure. Nothing you have done like allowing the truck to sit for a few years would cause me to think that is the issue. You may have purchased the only problem pump so far. With my luck I would have thought this would surely happen to me first before any others.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an internal meltdown, literally NO ONE. Has an honest warrenty over one year( imho) let alone a guarantee.
My facett looks non servicable.
Came from the same batch.

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I should clarify that. I haven't run any waste oil though it since the new pump was installed. Only brown on-road diesel (they do 5-20% bio by default around here, so its not green anymore). It was driven daily for those several months before it was parked for more than a year indoors.

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@clb
An internal meltdown is what I was thinking as well. I've had plenty of experience with these pumps on reefers, and this is the first failure that I've seen that wasnt purely mechanical in nature.

@icanfixall
Of course I'd have the first. Haha. I always end up with crap, but make the best of it. :D Do you know of a disassembly routine that I might do an autopsy to find the cause?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not the first duralift pump to fail. I've seen a couple documented cases here. I think I recall that a lot of them were WMO related. A couple not related to WMO. There are also a bunch of them ticking along happily from what I gather. I haven't installed mine yet. Having anything soaking in solvent and sitting for a long period of time will show it's weak points. For that matter, I'm not sure if the seals are Bio compatible so soaking in it for a long while might have torched a seal. :dunno

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since GenLightning is out, whats the new source for these things that isnt $150 like Napa or $189.99 like my local ThermoKing dealer? Prefer <$100. Only paid $90 for this one..

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if a pipe cutter (3-4" iron)carefully applied would get thru the crimped over housing????

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I believe these pumps do not have a spinning impeller in them but are a vibrating type pump. Not sure. Just recall something odd bout these pumps.. I have taken apart the Holley Reds and they do have an armature supported by 2 bushing bearings and an impeller. Holley is now made in Mexico and the quality control has slipped plus some design changes for cost were made. They now are no where near the pump they used to be.. And they are very loud but at least we know when they are running.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the 40222. It is my understanding that you want 7-10 psi at the pump post filter head. This pump (and others on that page) have a 9-11.5 psi range. I figure that the overlap is close enough. I think there is one with a slightly lower psi range but my thinking was always, I'd rather be a touch higher going into the filter because there will always be a drop across the filter to the IP. Lift pump pressure does effect the IP timing so changing the lift pump to electric may cause enough of a timing shift that you would want to re-time but somebody with more first hand knowledge will hopefully speak up. I'm giving what I think I have learned from a lot of reading.

Hope that helps.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought one from that same website. Literally showed up yesterday. I bought 40223, the only difference from 40222 is that it comes with the connecter on the wires, which makes for a nice quick disconnect if you ever need it. I have not put it on yet, but it looks exactly like the one I bought from genlightening a couple years ago for my other truck, except for the stickers on it.

Also as a bonus Made in the USA right on the side of it:thumbsup:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Internal timing is affect by pump pressure if it reaches something like 10 lbs I believe. So going from say 3 lbs inlet pressure to the injection pump to say 7 or 9 will not change anything. But if you think it does please rent a meter from me.. I need the money.. Am feeding 5 neighbors cats now.......:eek::D:angel: