Duralift on its way out

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I pulled my trailer in from 2 years of working 'out of town', and 3 miles from home, fuel filter light stuck me.. My egts started rising, but not to an unsafe level, 900*... surprisingly, you can drive with no lift, but if it had been any further than I was, I wouldn't have chanced it.. got the trailer off the truck, and started running diagnosis on the pump.

power to pump: check
Filters clean: check
Tap on pump, will pump for X amount of time, then for no apparent reason, just stops. still has power when it fails, maybe it overheated..

anyways, I'm going to buy the carter 4594 to replace it, and see how it fairs in comparison. Does anyone have any experience with these?

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You run any kind of waste fuels? I know for a fact they dont like wmo at all, when I installed mine I had a half tank of 50/50 wmo topped it off with clean diesel, had 1psi at filter head, I have 4 psi with straight diesel.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
You run any kind of waste fuels? I know for a fact they dont like wmo at all, when I installed mine I had a half tank of 50/50 wmo topped it off with clean diesel, had 1psi at filter head, I have 4 psi with straight diesel.

No, only #2.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
first time for everything.was wondering when this was going to be.major thread group buy on this forum and your the first and only one iv see with one fail (just running diesel.)
i would consider going with anther one.getting another bad one would be worse odds than winning the lottery.:)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As posted above.. Worse odds than winning the lottery about getting another bad one. I sure would be interested in seeing the bad pump taken apart. Actually seeing what went wrong tells lots....

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
first time for everything.was wondering when this was going to be.major thread group buy on this forum and your the first and only one iv see with one fail (just running diesel.)
i would consider going with anther one.getting another bad one would be worse odds than winning the lottery.:)

I agree 100%, everyone/everything has flukes, one way or the other, and the pump did extremely well for 6000 miles. I think the problem may have been trying to burn more fuel than it could push.. While it's a great pump, I would see the fuel filter light come on under heavy throttle (means the IP is pulling a vaccuum) and over time, that probably wore the pump out, similar to running an injection pump dry. So I may come back to it in the future, but I want to try going a different route this time, unless noone has experience with the carters..

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
. How dirty is the fuel in the bowl? What does the residue in the bottom look like? THat kind of behavior in an e pump is what you normally find in one that has had some junk like algae get into it that is jamming it up
While I agree a failure is eventually going to happen in anything, so far , the only known failures on these things have all been attributed to alternative fuels ( i.e. heavily contaminated and way too thick)
And I too have experienced the very same behaviour that you have... except I pulled immidiately over and found my fuel bowl had algae in it and cleaned out the screen right on the spot instead of continuing to drive on , and wound up pulling over about every 20 miles to clean out till that tank was gone, but that pump is still going years later.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
The bowl looks clean, maybe, there is something in the line itself lodged in an odd way where it cant clear the line. The only reason I'm not just buying another duralift, is because even when it was working as designed, it couldn't keep up with the IP at heavy throttle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US