Dumb question

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Currently rebuilding a 1993 idit block. I have found deep scarring on the crankshaft rod throws. Dumb question being, I have a crank for an na block in great shape. Can I use it in the idit? Or is there some balancing issues other than the harmonic balancer?

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, all crankshafts are the same for the 7.3 IDI. The turbo version balancing comes from the harmonic balancer and the flywheel/flexplates are different from N/A too.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think that there is supposed to be some difference in the balancing between the N/A and turbo cranks too. Can you just have your current crank turned and then use oversized bearings?

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I think that there is supposed to be some difference in the balancing between the N/A and turbo cranks too. Can you just have your current crank turned and then use oversized bearings?
After a bit of research its only 250 to have mine cut and another 47 for oversize bearings. Think I will go this rout if the other two idit engines I have dont turn anything better up. Im very leery on the balancing of things so ive decided to keep the na parts out of my turbo blocks and vice versa. But now I have two sets of main bearings and rod bearings and im sure one of the rod bearing sets are wrong. Lol. And had them too long to return them. Oh well. Another day, on another build

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
When I do my build, I'm not going to bother to even try to have all Turbo parts. I'm just going to have everything balanced.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
When I do my build, I'm not going to bother to even try to have all Turbo parts. I'm just going to have everything balanced.
Ideally thats what I would like to do anyway but with all the turbo rods and pistons just for the bigver rods and wristpins, but not sure how much it would cost to balance a whole rotating assymbly. And dont have alot of coin to work with.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I will have the Turbo rods and pistons. I consider a stock rebuild and an "engine build" to be two different things. To me, an engine build is going for more power. That will come slowly, over time for me. The money will come as I get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online