dual tank switch AKA SELF DESTRUCT BUTTON HELP!!

chris_wei17

Reaction score
I've been trying to use the dual tank set up to separate my fuel usage between my carpool for work and personal use, just to keep track and such. yesterday I realized I had forgotten to switch back to the rear tank for carpooling after the long weekend so in the parking lot on the way home I flipped the switch. I've done this before in the middle of the highway and no big deal, this time I flipped the switch and the whole truck shuddered pretty significantly and then shut down. I started it back up and it was running really rich blowing all kinds of smoke out of the tailpipes. Even though it seemed like it was running rich, it also felt like it was really lacking power in the low end and I didnt dare try the high RPM range. I thought maybe it would blow through and be fine, but had no luck and even with the clutch to the floor it felt like a violent stall when stopping anymore than gradually. I got a mile down the road and pulled into a gas station because it wouldnt stop and was billowing out even at idle and the cab with the windows all the way down started to smell like someone had spilled a fuel can in the cab. Shut the truck down, opened up the hood and found fuel POOLED, and I mean a solid quarter to third of a gallon, sitting on top of the engine?????? We popped off the filter cover and looked all around but couldnt find a loose hose or injector that had been blown out to save our lives. we soaked it up with rags and fired it back up and it seemed to run fine no spray anywhere when we revved it in the parking lot or anything that looked abnormal. We limped home out of caution and when I parked it, I figured we would switch the tanks while parked just to see what happened. switched it to the rear and it died peacefully as if it had just run out of gas. That makes me think it was just the rear fuel sender because when I flipped it to the front tank it fired right up. Not cheap, but also not a fatal injury to the truck. I'm afraid to drive it though because of the small lake that accumluated on top of the engine, and this is ,believe it or not, the cheapest way for the three of us to get to work (Diesel is only $1.30/Gal when you split it three ways :thumbsup: ) Has anyone had this happen before??? truck is a 94 F-250 with the 7.3 Liter International Turbo diesel with a ZF-5 THANKS!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Little late, but it could be the fuel filter drain valve if it's a 94.5, the o'rings on the valve get hard and cause the leak. Takes a #10 torx for the screws. You can get the o'rings most anyplace, IIRC 1/2" OD x 1/4" ID.

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score
I had this same exact thing happen to me last winter. I had to replace my tank selector valve to a different one I had

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online