Dual Glass packs in seriies ou opinion

wgargan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a CHEAP straiht through muffler. Is it a good idea to put two Glass pack mufflers in series
I was thinking of something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flow...003QQitemZ130100704044QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

what do you think?:dunno

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's my .02...
any kind of fibreglass packing is going to get wiped out quickly due to the exhaust velocity and pulsing. If you want to ditch the factory muffler and you don't have a turbo, look at spending some money on a real truck type straight through muffler. Firstly, the casing is much heavier to handle the pulsing/vibration and secondly there is no packing to blow out. there is a louvered core within the body of the muffler but there's also two midlength reinforcements that really do help cut down the high rpm noise. Cost? about $150 to $175 roughly. worth every penny and prolly the muffler will outlast the rest of your exhaust system.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glasspacks are terrible for backpressure on a diesel, plus they're louder than all getout. You'll be deaf in no time.

Donaldson makes a really good low back pressure 'muffler' that's practically a passthrough unit. They're used on large trucks and they're pretty quiet.

big van

Nobody Special
Reaction score
I went with 3" after the ypipe into a 3" Magnaflow muffler then 3" to behind tire. I'm 7.3 N/A and it sounds good. About $125 for the muffler and I think it was well spent!;Sweet

wgargan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with 3" after the ypipe into a 3" Magnaflow muffler then 3" to behind tire. I'm 7.3 N/A and it sounds good. About $125 for the muffler and I think it was well spent!;Sweet

A magna flow like this? or the long tubular kind?
You must be registered for see images attach

big van

Nobody Special
Reaction score
A magna flow like this? or the long tubular kind?
You must be registered for see images attach

My magnaflow is a round one. It's 3" straight pipe thru the middle and only 6" O.D. in the middle. Good rumble but not to offensive.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO glass packs are a waste of money, if you go that route you might as well straight pipe it and save the $$$$.

If it's turbocharged consider 3-1/2" or 4" straight pipe, not really that loud as the turbo breaks the sound up pretty good;Sweet The bigger the pipes the lower the tone usually.

86 1 tonhauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glass packs suck and cause turbulance in the exaust and restrict air flow and rob hp

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, IMHO Flowmaster makes a killer product....check out this sweet unit....
at $192.00, they priced themselves out of the market. you can get a real truck straight through muffler for at least $20 less. My hillbilly truck has a car flowmaster welded in. Unfortunately, there's no way you can yell at the person sitting shotgun and expect them to hear you.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I don't know what you guys are talking about.

I ran an original Cherry Bomb on my 85 for 2 years. It sounded great, had good power, and looked identical to the day I installed it, when I took it off. It still has the red paint on it! Which is saying a lot, up here in the salt belt.

Personally, I"ll never buy another chambered muffler (Flowmaster) again. I think they're waaay overpriced, and sound like ass.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online