DT466 Project Step 2 and 3...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm continuing to collect hardware for my DT466 repower project. As most Rally goers know, I picked up a F450 Dana 80 in Wisconsin during the rally. It will serve as my rear axle after modifying it to my needs.

The next big purchase was an Eaton Fuller FS-6306. It will be converted to an FSO-6306 (overdrive). I drove down to Fayetteville, GA last weekend to pick it up. It is in really good condition and is huge compaired to the T-19 and ZF5.

Yes, I have photos, but I need to load them onto webshots and post them up. I'll try to get that done tonight.

Now the last major drivetrain component I need is the transfer case. It will likely be a divorced SCS unit. It will be very difficult to find one used and new they are a bit pricey.:D

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you going to use for a front axle? A rockwell or marmon herrington?

Likely keep the D60, but I've been looking for a wrecked 4x4 medium duty with a good front axle. When I use 4x4, it is usually for snow or muddy roads, nothing crazy. I have thought about doing some local pulls with the truck when finished...........If so, the D60 will be marginal at best.

Heath

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath, don't you want a 10 lug for the front?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath, don't you want a 10 lug for the front?

Not really. I will machine the rear hub for the standard 8 x 6.5 lug pattern. It is hard to find wheels in 10 x 7.5 and all of them are dually. It will take extra work to machine the hubs, but it will save a lot of headaches down the road as you can find 8 x 6.5 wheels everywhere.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not going to build it?

Hard to build a Dana 60 to deal with 1600 ft/lbs. of torque. If I were going to do more competitive pulling with it, I would step up to a Dana 80.

How much did the tranny cost if ya dont mind me askin?
$250.:sly I can sell the PTO I won't use for close to that.:D

Pictures eagerly awaited... ;Sweet
Ask and you shall recieve:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Heath

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
Hard to build a Dana 60 to deal with 1600 ft/lbs. of torque. If I were going to do more competitive pulling with it, I would step up to a Dana 80.

its fairly inexpensive (relative term) to put D70 gears in the 60 housing, and upgrade shafts/joints with alloys/CTM's.

That combo should have no problem dealing with 1600tq.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its fairly inexpensive (relative term) to put D70 gears in the 60 housing, and upgrade shafts/joints with alloys/CTM's.

That combo should have no problem dealing with 1600tq.

Dang! Relative is right. The price of one CTM u-joint is the same price I paid for the tranny! If needed, the option I'll likely persue is a front Dana 80.

Heath

motrack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you find a DT466 with a torque rating of 1600 ft/lbs?

The first generation of Dt466 were around 600ft/lbs and looking at new engine specs I dont see where they have achived 1000 ft/lbs rating yet.

Have I missed something?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online