DT466 for a swap motor?

masterbeavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine scored himself a free '78 IH truck with a DT466 Turbo diesel in it. The hub meter claims 144K, the hour meter claims 2,*** hours. Motor supposedly is rebuilt. He was going to use it to haul is triple axle gooseneck, but I told him that the DOT would be on him like stink on poo driving that old truck. He is going to get himself a dually cummins instead, and is going to off the truck. Is a DT466 too big of a motor to reasonably shoe horn into a 80-90's F-series, or 73-79?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean reasonably? I think some people have attempted it, I don't know how practical it is. You're going to face 3 challenges, first its a good bit longer than the 6.9/7.3, or even a Cummins 5.9, second it is a good bit heavier as well, so you're going to have to find a way to support that extra weight, 3rd you may have to use a remote radiatio due to the length of that engine and probably the IDI rad won't slice it. The good news is this motor is fully rebuildable and has a lot more cheap power potential than the 6.9 and parts should be around for a long time. So how good are you at fabrication and do you mind either a doghouse in the cab with you or a remote radiator? Its a lot of work, but I've been wanting to see someone do it ever since I started playing with IDIs.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Im watching this one closely, I have wondered the same thing. If no one gets back before monday (doubtful with this crowd) then I will walk down the the heavy shop and do some measuring and research for you.

punk

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a big piece of metal LOL.
Total Engine Weight (dry) 1,425 lb (647 kg)
Dimensions L=45.1 in x W=29.3 in x H=40.8 in (1146 mm) x (744 mm) x (1036 mm)

ddec4me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is actually a video on utube I saw a few weeks ago that shows a DT466 with double compounding turbos in it. The truck was actually used for tractor pulls but it was in a F350. I dont remember where but I think I got the link from this website I just cant remember the thread that it was on.I will keep looking

ddec4me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here a couple of pics.

Attachments

• twinsDT466Ford.jpg
    twinsDT466Ford.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 57
  • twinsDT466Ford2.jpg
    twinsDT466Ford2.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 170
  • twinsDT466ford4.jpg
    twinsDT466ford4.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 169
  • twinsDT466ford5.jpg
    twinsDT466ford5.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 169

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
I would love to have a DT466 and a 10-speed eaton road ranger at my disposal, I would without hesitiation begin shoe-horning it into my 74 crewcab. In my opinion, that would be an awsome combo to have in a truck.
Where there's a will, there's a way! Git 'er done.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recall someone putting an 8.3l Cummins in an F-350 once...IIRC it has similar dimensions to the DT466. He had to do a body lift to get the engine under the hood and needed a doghouse in the cab to deal with the length. The truck was a complete custom job...so, IMHO it's doable but a LOT of work and customization.

IIRC the guy who did the Cummins truck sold it not too long afterwards, although I can't remember why...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I would love to have a DT466 and a 10-speed eaton road ranger at my disposal, I would without hesitiation begin shoe-horning it into my 74 crewcab. In my opinion, that would be an awsome combo to have in a truck.
Where there's a will, there's a way! Git 'er done.

Heck with the 10 speed, pop in a 15 double over and idle down the highway :D you'd get some insane fuel mileage

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a project that I'm going to do in the future. When.......it depends of selling my house in Toledo and finding the right truck to put it in. It will take some significant modification of the firewall or you'll have to put the radiator in the bed. The length is the biggest issue with the swap. The weight is not a huge issue and width and height are also not a problem.

HERE IS A POST from last fall that has some links to a webshots gallery with a DT466 going into a late '70s F250.

I've read that you can modifiy these motors for very reiable horsepower.......like 700-800HP (1600 ft/lb) 100,000 mile daily driver.:eek::hail

Heath

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it can't be done. Give me your address, and I'll come get the engine from you. LOL

ddec4me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant find that link to save my life. (sorry guys!) I actually stumbled on thoses photos on another diesel web site but that is all I can find. I will keep looking I cant remember how I found it the first time.
As far as the DT466. My crew takes care of an entire fleet of international pepsi delivery trucks. I know of two they plan to retire in the next year and I know that they unload those trucks for next to nothing. I can pull the drivetrain and any thing else I may need, part out and sell what I can, and scrap the rest hopefully making back at least the money I have invested. I know one of them has a 2 speed rearend!!!!! Think it would fit or would it bee too low geared. I am in the mean time going to see if I can fit the turbo off of one on my 7.3. I have heard they fit but havent actually measured. I have a turbo gasket for one I guess I can pull mine off and see what it looks like.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I heard this engines are not very good as far a fuel economy, now that is the ones on tow trucks I've seen. It sure is big enough, now one thing that makes Me wonder is how effective is it to keep the radiator for this engine in the bed. I like the one on the video, Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online