Drove through water from tropical stor Fay

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well last night me and a friend took our trucks down some backroads near his house that were pretty flooded from tropical stor Fay. I have never driven in water with my truck, I have a 6" lift and 36" tires. It wasn't super deep but the hubs probably went under a couple times.

Question is, do I need to pull anything appart to check for water? Front diff? rear diff? Hubs? I have the TTB front end that I completely rebuilt about 2 years ago including hubs and I changed my rear axle oil about 4 months ago. This is probably the second time I've used 4x4 since I owned the truck, figured I rebuilt the whole thing might as well use it.

Thanks,

-Rob

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I would remove the plugs on the differentials and see if the oil looks all milky. If it does it needs to be replaced, obviously. A big factor is the location of the vent tubes for the differentials since water can enter the system there.

Good luck, I am waiting for the 6 inches we are supposed to get from this storm.....hopefully not that much though.....

Thad

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
If you have any U-joints that are greasable, now would be a good time. Check or change the fluid in the diffs. As long as the hubs were greased good they should not be a problem. You only really have to worry once the water gets in the cab :)

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i would be more worried about the rear. if the axle was hot from running around it can pull the water in from the sudden cooling it gets from being dipped.

that and if your breathers arent moved up it can go right in. check the fliud and regrease all your joints; ball, steering, and univarsals.

btw - it is a good idea to use your 4 wheel every few months or so to help keep things from rusting by spinning all the parts and re-lubing them. otherwise seals and stuff can dry out causing them to wear much quicker when you need them.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation that it's deep down there. I cancelled a server upgrade I was going to do in Boca Thursday night for fear of loosing communications during the process. I'd say if you haven't seen your bearings in a long time, this might be a good time to check em' out.

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
i think i would be pulling the front wheel bearings out and repacking them and chaning the fluid in the rears.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my vent tubes way up high just in case, checked them and they seemed fine. I redid the whole front end about 2 years ago bearings, U joints and all. As soon as it stops raining outside I'll pull my fill plugs to see if the oil is milky. Should I pull a locking hub cap to see if there is water inside?

Thad, how did you guys fair in the storm, or hasn't it made it to you yet? (I kinda stopped watching once I could get to work again).

-Rob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance