Driveshaft problems

ken74amx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is a 91 F-350 cc Dually 7.3 zf 5 speed and no matter what I have done I keep blowing the rear section of the driveshaft out of it. This was now the third time now. for some reason it has small u joints in it. I'm worried if I can't find a better set up that my compound turbo set up will be a complete waste of money. I'm wondering if I can put a flange from a super duty on the pinion. That would open up a new world of options. Has anyone else had this issue? Any thoughts of what I can do to beef this up?

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't you get a 1410 yoke for the pinion and have the end on the shaft changed at a driveshaft shop??

ken74amx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The u joint at the diff kept breaking. This time that one and the one at the center bearing broke too. The shaft also twisted this time. I have a shop that will build a complete new shaft to my specs but I need to figure out a new pinion flange.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
dont know a whole lot about drivetrains but is there a problem in the differential? It sounds like something is binding up

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Twisted the shaft? Better pull your diff cover and see if you've got loose metal in there.

Black dawg

Reaction score
what part # u joint are you using? I have been around lots of these truck that were beat on hard without that issue.

ken74amx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear end is fine. The driveshaft angles are also good. Everytime this happens I have to replace the pinion yoke. The truck is 2wd and stock height. I'm an ase certified tech with 15 years in the industry. I can only determine that the joints are to small. This has even stumped my father who is a Ford tech of 34 yrs now. I'm wanting to have a bigger shaft made with bigger joints. I can't remember off hand what the part number is for these joints. The truck was an auto that someone started to convert and gave up on. I cut up two other trucks to build this one. The trans and driveshaft are from a 91 F-450. I had the shaft lengthened to make it work. Every thing in this truck has been rebuilt. I put a Hypermax turbo on it and then started having these problems. I'm worried about doing the new turbo set up I built. I just need to figure out what to do with the pinion yoke so I can run a bigger joint. Need Ideas!

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are the shafts in time, if not that could be your problem. Something had to change in the drive train, just adding a turbo will not put that much stress on the u-joints. You said that when it breaks it takes the rear diff yoke out, I think it's a drive line timin g issue

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rear end is fine. The driveshaft angles are also good. Everytime this happens I have to replace the pinion yoke. The truck is 2wd and stock height. I'm an ase certified tech with 15 years in the industry. I can only determine that the joints are to small. This has even stumped my father who is a Ford tech of 34 yrs now. I'm wanting to have a bigger shaft made with bigger joints. I can't remember off hand what the part number is for these joints. The truck was an auto that someone started to convert and gave up on. I cut up two other trucks to build this one. The trans and driveshaft are from a 91 F-450. I had the shaft lengthened to make it work. Every thing in this truck has been rebuilt. I put a Hypermax turbo on it and then started having these problems. I'm worried about doing the new turbo set up I built. I just need to figure out what to do with the pinion yoke so I can run a bigger joint. Need Ideas!
if you already have the F450 trans and driveshaft, do you have the F450 parking brake too? if so, why not just go up to a dana 80 out of the same vintage truck. your parking brake issues are already taken care of.

ken74amx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towcat that's the plan. I found a yard with a few of them. The timing is good. The last time it blew I took it to a Driveline shop n had the shaft completely re done. The yoke gets destroyed because the joint explodes. Its a stupid strap type yoke! Towcat what size joint does the dana 80 use? And yes i have the 450 driveline brake and it's operational. If it uses a bigger one then this might be the answer I'm looking for. The next issue would then be the ten lug wheels.