Drip drip drip...

LumbermanSVO

Reaction score
I have an '86 F250 that had been leaking oil since I got it. Recently the leak has gotten much worse. It gets all over the y pipe and when i get anywhere near full throttle it burns off and I get a lovely cloud of smoke and the burning oil smell.

When I took a the top of the engine I don't really see any oil but when I look from the bottom nearly the whole underside and starter are covered and dripping from several places.

Where should I start looking for the leak?

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
Doesn't seem to be from the oil cooler since it's on the opposite side from the starter. Have you looked at the valve cover gaskets? Are there any oil runs from below the valve cover?

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your starter absolutely covered as well? I know mine is. The oil pan gasket seems to be causing the mess in my case.

Keep in mind that leaks up front will get blown back by the fan as well.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your sig doesn't mention a turbo, so we will assume it's not a turbo oil drain issue. Best thing would be to wash the engine when it is cold, so you can try to watch the leak in smaller stages.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a place that the oil/fuel spilled onto the valley pan drains to. You might find it's a fuel leak from up on the valley draining down into that area.

Check the oil sender unit on the top of the engine at the back by the passengers side, and then look at the back of the valley behind the intake and see if the oil drain there is all wet. That may be where it's coming from.

Zigg :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online