Drained radiator and...

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just drained and removed the radiator to have the top tank resealed. It's been in 15 months since it was installed new, and the entire cooling system, and the coolant was new then too. I don't recall what the old 25 year old radiator looked like inside, some buildup as I recall but not alot.

Should I be concerned with what I see? Sorry I should have taken the pictures in the daylight instead of just now with a flash. The coolant looked fine, nothing abnormal at all. But the inside of the radiator seems to have a thin white/gray film. No symptoms of problems, the last oil change it went 2,500 or so miles without needing oil, was down 1 to 1.5 quart (so still above add). The coolant temps did get up to 233 two times a couple weeks ago, now I have a working fan clutch. I did give it a little oil right before that trip, it was down about a quart, which often it stays near but I gave it a little more since I was hauling 10k. I haven't checked the oil since the trip.

I DO recall accidentally putting in a cup or two of windshield washer fluid in the overfill tank a few months ago instead of the windshield washer tank, oops.

Anywho am I worried about nothing or....? I'll ask the radiator guy tomorrow if he has any thoughts. I know these photos aren't great. I'll try to take some in the daylight in the AM, if I remember, before I drop it off to have the top tank resealed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thank you,

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NAPA green, distilled water, and napa cool sca additive. Previous owner did the same, all NAPA. Anywho, I did screw up with the cup or two of windshield washer cleaner in the overflow bottle a few months ago. So when I drained it I will be putting in fresh coolant/water/additive again, not reusing.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grey residue could mean you have oil in coolant, I would test it when possibly. Most likely oil cooler or head gasket.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
16 ounces of chemicals that likely aren't even a concern in 1000 ounces of coolant. Mostly water, ammonia, a little soap, some dye. I wouldn't think twice about reusing the coolant.

Let us know what the radiator shop says. It looks normal to me but one pic looks like it has calcium build up. Its probably just the camera flash.

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radiator shop looked at it and wasn't concerned either and said "normal". And... the manufacturer sent the shop a new replacement radiator for free, no warranty on it though. The radiator shop owner had to twist their arm big time and threaten to buy fewer radiators from them if they didn't do anything for me. Was really nice of him, I wasn't expecting it.

So got the replacement radiator in after a messed up day. And long story short realized at 9:40pm that I had left the mounting retaining things for the bolts on the old radiator. So I can't mount the fan shroud until the morning when I buy new ones, ARGH. Did go to home depot, they just had some crappy ones, and Fred Meyer didn't have them. And I still need to hookup the hoses etc tomorrow after wasting time at the stores tonight. Zzzzz

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completed the install of new radiator, so far so good. Will see in the next week or three for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online