Down, but not out.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid environmental laws, considering they amount to squat in way of real effect, IMO.
Sounds like a great project and a good idea.
Best of luck and definitely gonna follow along.

Ilovejunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a little progress and a question.

made it home before it got dark today, and did a little with the 94.

You must be registered for see images attach

got the truck off the 4 flats it came with, these trucks suck to try and move with 4 flats.

started pulling parts off the front, got the grille, front bumper, and rad out before the sun went down and temps started dropping; i HAVE got to get a shop built this year, working outside below 40* blows BLAH.

truck evidently had the rad and AC condensor replaced not long before it was parked, sucks i cant use the rad with the IDI, it looks shiny new inside.

Now for the question, WTH is up with the front frame horns? do i have another jacked up frame?

a little google searching say they are "Crush initiators" or something like that, but the info i can find says only f150 frames should have them, is this truck basically an f150 frame due to its LD250 GVW?

i measured a few spots on the frame i could get to and this frames metal seem to be at least as thick as my 88's frame so i hope the strength will be the same.

also this truck has front and rear sway bars;Sweet, which i thought was neat as my 88 never had them and you had to be careful on the twisty back roads in it.

so far i am seeing surface rust and everything underneath the truck covered in mud, but no real rot, so i think my plan may work out.:dunno

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GOOD OLE U.S.A.
is to blame for that frame.
thats a crush point...
something about the human spine needing some sort of ******** "pillow"
shes good!

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also subscribed. Happy to see your old truck get a new life; it has the potential to even improve a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ilovejunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hustling a little today

had the day off and the sun was shining so figured i'd get this parts truck pulled apart.

8AM looked more or less like this

10AM

After lunch break

5PM

only things i cut were the exhaust, rubber filler neck hoses, and two bed bolts, everything else came apart with only moderate persuasion.

next is get the 302 and autotragic tranny out then hit it with the pressure washer and see exactly what i have to work with. gotta haul some cars tomorrow, so don't know how much more i'll get to work on the truck this weekend; but i thought i made some good progress today.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man you made quick work of that parts truck! Looking good. Yeah and the frame horns are just fine!

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm tired just looking at all that work. All I did was put an explorer keyless unit in my truck and I'm beat. Keep up the good work, it will pay off in the end!

Ilovejunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
little more progress this weekend.

got the 94 frame stripped the rest of the way down and cleaned with the pressure washer. now gotta wait for this winter weather system to pass, then gonna try and shoot some paint on it.

also the wife surprised me when a valentines/ anniversary gift, which i immediately put to good use.

already had a regular drill and the 1/4" impact driver; but this thing is awesome; makes taking chassis and suspension parts out SOOO much easier

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ Nice; and happy anniversary. I was surprised to find out my Ryobi 18V 1/2" impact really did work as an impact. Esp. with the advent of lithium batteries, cordless tools are SOOOOOO much better than they used to be.

Ilovejunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have a question for the gurus here.

looked up the axle code on my parts truck "B5" which according to
http://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech/ford_axle_codes.shtml is a Sterling 10.25 Semi-Floating axle with a 4.10 gear and limited slip.

i jacked up the rear axle one side at a time and i can definitely feel the LS still working when trying to turn whichever tire i have off the ground; and if i try to spin the lifted tire "fast" the other side tries to pull the chassis forward, so i am pretty sure the LS is still working right.

now my question is can the LS carrier be swapped into my 88's axle?
88 has a 10.25 Full Floating axle with 3.55 gear and open diff.

are the full floating vs. semi-floating axles different on the carrier end, i know the outer hubs are different, just don't know for sure on the carrier end. also in reading there is a long pinion and short pinion version of the sterling axle as well; would that ***** this swap idea?

would love to have the LS in my truck but wanna keep the full floating axle and 3.55 gears as i feel the truck is almost geared too short w/ 3.55's and definitely do not want a 4.10 as the truck would be miserable on the highway at 70+mph (if it could even go that fast with 4.10's).

Ilovejunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update.

hi all,

man life really got away from me there; started messin around with the truck again today and realized its been almost a month --- WOW!. thats what work, then the flu, then pneumonia will do for you -- i've barely had time to catch me breath over the last 3 weeks-much less fix my truck.

anyway the weather is starting to turn and the days are getting longer, so i can get back to my projects.

got my rolling chassis back out in the open, stripped the last remaining misc. brackets and such and sprayed a little rustoleum on it, forgot to get pics before dark, but i will get some.

also, i think my last post got lost in the shuffle, but if anyone knows the answers about my rear end swap idea, it would be much appreciated.

-- that's all for now, got some forum reading to do and parts to order.