Door Swap

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for a little help with wiring. I installed two 1995 doors with power windows & locks on my 1987 which also has power locks & windows. However the wiring is different. The 87 doors each have two plugs while the 95 driver door only has one and a wiring harness that extends to the pass side. I guess I'm looking for a wiring diagram for both model years. OR if this has already been done, an explaination how to do it. I hate wiring!

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95 driver door has one plug connector with 8-pins however there are only 6 wires. It also has a wiring harness that extends to the passenger side and connects to that door. Then the 95 passenger door also has another plug connector with 4- pins and 4-wires. I need to make connections on both doors. Driver door needs connection with the 8-pin connector (which only has 6-wires) and the pass door needs connection with the 4-pin connector (with 4-wires). If someone has the wiring diagram illustrating these two plugs that would be great! Probably easy if you know what your doing, obviously I do not.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CORRECTION, I swapped in a dash from a 1989. So it's more similar to connecting 1995 doors to a 1989 cab. Sorry for the confusion.........

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rule #1 for swapping stuff with these trucks - match your main cab harness to your dash, and your door harnesses to your main cab harness.

In your case the '87 and the '89 dashes are near identical as far as electric stuff goes, there is some difference with the HVAC stuff but that's not related to what you're doing now. The door harness connectors should be the same between the 87 and the 89, meaning if you pull the harnesses out of your old 87 doors and stuff them into your new '95 doors they will work with your main cab harness and your 89 dash. Swap your 87 panel onto your 95 doors, it's a direct bolt-on job and gives you proper switches for windows and locks.

The reason you have extra connectors in the 95 doors is most likely for use with power mirrors, which wasn't an option back in 87. We actually added the power mirror harnesses into the factory door harnesses of both out pre-OBS Fords, neither truck is using them right now but if at some point in the future we decided we felt ambitious enough to tackle this project the wiring is already there...

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using 89 dash and underhood wiring, with 95 doors, door panels and wiring. I like the OBS style door panels much better particularly the power window switch.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sockets for the switches should be the same. You may be able to unwrap the wiring tape so you can reroute the harness. If the wires are too short, you may be able to make one good harness out of both.

Your 95 doors will have extra wiring for the courtesy lights, and power mirrors, if so equipped.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the OBS door panels and the Brick dash won't fit together.

@IDIoit had this problem on the PSD conversion, I think.......

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not me Sir,
i switched to an OBS dash, but i did nothing with the doors,
i dont even have them hooked up.
and with payment being really really late, if he does not pony up in the next week or so, ill be kicking this project out.
@Leeland has some experience with swapping this stuff.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brick dash and OBS door combo works (at least on my truck). Still looking for wiring diagram for this plug coming out of the 95 OBS door.
You must be registered for see images attach

The plug has positions for eight wires however there are only six wires in it. So far I've identified 4 of the six wires, two go to the speaker, two go to the door light, the other two are??? power and ground maybe???

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Want to say those other two are your power and ground, you should be able to quickly verify with a multimeter between that plug and the window switch. Lock and window control for the ps door is in the long pig tail that runs on the back side of the fire wall under the dash on the OBS if I'm remembering correctly.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I count 8 on mine.
Door light ground should be a splice in the door harness. Power is black with blue stripe to it. Orange with green stripe and black with white stripe are door speaker both smaller gauge like 16ish
Heavier gauge black white strip and pink yellow stripe goes to the ds door lock switch,
Blue black stripe and straight black to the ds window panel.
Pink black strip shoots off across the dash to the ps door switch panel.
This is on a 93 regular cab. The pin positions changed and a connector housing for the chassis harness or dash harness from rectangular to round sometime in 94.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the two remaining wires I'm trying to identify are "power to windows" (light blue with black tracer) and "power to door locks" (black with white tracer). The 1989 brick wiring harness has these two wires in a smaller 4-pin square connector and they have the same color codes. I'll make a pigtail using the old wiring harness and connect them. Unfortunately I have not reinstalled all of the underhood wiring or the engine or trans yet therefore no batteries & no ability to test. Waiting for front clip to return from painting (they're painting the inside surface of the fenders, hood, and piece above front bumper so it matches the exterior color when it gets painted). Plan to install front clip, motor & trans this weekend provided I receive parts from painter, then the entire truck will get exterior paint and finally be finished, whew!