DOOR STRIKER ???

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My driver-side door has for several years had a habit of popping loose, not open, just loose.

I have cleaned/lubricated everything in the door latch mechanism.

I found these:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=DOR&MfrPartNumber=38448&PartType=713&PTSet=A

Note the U-shaped bracket thingie.

These are absent on my strikers.

Did I ever have them ??

What purpose do they serve ??

Also, it appears to have a plastic sleeve over the striker.

I also don't have that.

Will replacing the striker fix my popping loose problem ??

Thanks.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe the U-shaped bracket was used on the trucks.

The plastic sleeve is supposed to be there...the fact that it's missing on your truck is PROBABLY why your door's loose. The mechanism's meant to latch around the sleeve, and with the sleeve missing, it's not really latching properly on the striker.

I don't know if the striker with the U-bracket could be used or not, but I would venture to guess that it can't...that said, there are strikers without the bracket available. They're not very expensive, and are worth it IMHO...just make sure you mark where the old striker was located so you don't have to deal with re-aligning everything :)

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to the Auto parts store and get to he Help parts section and get a pack of the plastic striker replacements. 4 to a bag 2 for the tailgate 2 for the door. The package says for Ford Broncos 83-96 or something to that.

I was just pointed to this yesterday. I put them on in 10 minutes. I am so happy :)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to the Auto parts store and get to he Help parts section and get a pack of the plastic striker replacements. 4 to a bag 2 for the tailgate 2 for the door. The package says for Ford Broncos 83-96 or something to that.

I was just pointed to this yesterday. I put them on in 10 minutes. I am so happy :)

You are meaning just the plastic sleeves, right ??

Have you still got the package ??

I would like a part-number, and brand name, please.

Thanks.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those parts, the plastic sleeves AND the strikers, are right on the shelve in the self help section. Should be carried in stock at any advance auto parts and many others.

I replaced the strikers on my '90. That little plastic sleeve makes a ton of difference.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoot, I just use a piece of old fuel hose.

Adrianspeeder

Where you been ??

I started to think maybe you had fell off the deep end .LOL

I will experiment with the hose, and maybe some plastic tubing that might just be the ticket.

Not that I am stingy or anything.:D

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The first thing that comes to mind is that a fuel hose may not last as long as hard plastic but I do think it would give a bit more cushion.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoot, I just use a piece of old fuel hose.

Adrianspeeder

GOT HER FIXED :D :thumbsup:

I measured the O.D. of the striker = .491

Close enough to 1/2".

I cut two 7/8" lengths of 1/2" i.d. poly tubing, split them length-wise, and snapped them on the strikers.

With the seam turned away, they look good as new.

The door sounds better when closing.

I think I will hold off on replacing the hinge-pins/bushings for a few weeks to give this time to see if this has cured my door popping loose problem.

If I go ahead and do the pins, then I won't know which fix fixed the popping loose.

Total cost of materials = forty cents, and I still have enough tube to fix a couple dozen more trucks.:D

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Went to Lowes today and was looking for some poly tubing. All they had, was Pex pipe. It's 1/2 I.D. and 5/8 O.D.

Worked perfectly!!!

I had to buy a 10' length of pipe, so I'll be able to replace them for years to come!!

sassyrel

Reaction score

I measured the O.D. of the striker = .491

Close enough to 1/2".

I cut two 7/8" lengths of 1/2" i.d. poly tubing, split them length-wise, and snapped them on the strikers.

With the seam turned away, they look good as new.

The door sounds better when closing.

I think I will hold off on replacing the hinge-pins/bushings for a few weeks to give this time to see if this has cured my door popping loose problem.

If I go ahead and do the pins, then I won't know which fix fixed the popping loose.

Total cost of materials = forty cents, and I still have enough tube to fix a couple dozen more trucks.:D
put the split towards the outside--so have solid hookup on back side of striker--put a drop of glue in tube you use--keeps it from turning---

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well, it looks like it has been a year since this posting and so far so good.

Since this fix, the door has not popped loose while driving down the road; of course, it probably will first thing tomorrow.:rolleyes:

Since then, I have also replaced the pins in both doors.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Well, it looks like it has been a year since this posting and so far so good.

I know it's been a long time and that's one great thing about the forum search function!

I've been having door problems for months and never even knew they were supposed to have plastic bushings on them.

BTW: That Pex pipe works great!