Door Latch, Cup Holder, and Other Misc Questions

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Had a few more random questions that seem to be so specific that I cant really find exactly what im looking for with searching through the different forums

I know it seems like the doors on my 90 should have bushings around the strikers and if they are gone people can get a rattle or door bang.

Mine is a 90 with 45,000 miles so I dont see why they would be gone on both doors but neither one of mine has one.

You must be registered for see images attach

So I was just curious if some of the years or models didn't get them or every single truck got them and mine are indeed missing and I need them?

After reading through many threads, this tail gate kit actually seems to work better and be betetr quality than the actually striker bushing assemblies they sell so im thinking about trying it.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...-p?searchTerm=tailgate+bushing&zoneAssigned=1

On a more side note beens mines a custom, and more bare bones option truck; is their holes to screw bolts/shafts into the bench seat for the factory style cupholers to slide over? I didn't know if in fact they are on all the seats, I would just need to locate them, cut a small hole for the bolts and get the bolts and factory cupholder that slides on them.

Few more things. Does anyone have the manual pages or know of how I can disable my door open chime/buzz and the seat belt chime/buzz that comes on for awhile when you start the truck? Just a personal preference of mine that I would like to turn off or mod so that it doesn't come on anymore. I read about the F150's is under the dash by the accelerator pedal and can just be unplugged and be fine or you can turn off the seatbelt and door, and still keep the lights on chime but didnt know if it was different for the bigger trucks and/or diesels.

Thanks for the specifics.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I haven't seen a vehicle with the door striker "bushing." But it seems like everyone believes there should be. I've just never personally seen them. But I do know the rattle you speak of.
On the cup holder, I have no idea. I've never seen the cup holder you describe. But I would think only the cup holder models would have those bolt holes.
I also haven't seen any "manual" for removing the chimer. My 88 doesn't have it and neither does my 94. Just take a piece of hose to use as a stethoscope to locate the buzzer/chime box and make it MIA. I ALWAYS wear my seat belt anytime I hit the road, so for me it doesn't bother me. I also like the key in ignition reminder chime. And I like the lights on reminder chime. But as I said, none of mine work. So I guess if they did, I probably wouldn't be liking them so much. lol You may be thinking "how hard is it to remember to turn your lights off?," well I drive with my parking lights on no matter what. So when it's daylight out, sometimes it's hard to remember they're on when you get out.
I guess I wasn't much help. But that's my .00001

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can silence the chime, easiest way would be to cut the wires and splice together i think. the switch is pushed in when the door is shut, so unless its backwards ( in which case just cut the wires and seperate them) that will keep it from knowing if you opened the door.

Dunno about the other Q. dont think mine has that

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The door pegs should have plastic sleeves on them.

The simplest fix is to buy a foot or so of plastic tubing at the hardware store, cut a short piece of appropriate length, split it length-wise, and just snap it over the metal striker.

A foot of tubing will be enough to make several years worth of bushings.

Without the bushings, the doors can "POP" loose while going down the road.

To silence all the buzzers, bells, and whistles, simply locate the noise-makers and un-plug them from their wire-connectors; that is one of the first things I do to any vehicle I own, right after by-passing the clutch "safety" switch.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Hmm well so far what ive gathered for the chime/buzzer is.

All Fords, Custom, and XL models all had buzzers (1983-96)

XLT, and XLT Lariat (1980?-86) had buzzers

All Fords, XLT Lariat, all had chimes (87-96).

As well the 87-91 atleast should be under the dash around the gas pedal like mentioned above and 84 and up integrated all 3 chimes/buzzers into one unit which I guess kind of screws me for keeping lights on buzzer and losing the other two. From what I read you can kind of pick and choose for the older ones but I guess will take alot more digging to figure it all out.

Heres the thread over on ford-trucks that goes into detail about the older ones for those who are interested.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1094084-door-chime-buzzer-question.html

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
The striker bushings are available from Dorman. Replace them, and your door chime will prolly stop

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
The striker bushings are available from Dorman. Replace them, and your door chime will prolly stop

lol if you would have looked at the first link in my first post, its actually a dorman striker bushing kit. Well actually a tailgate bushing kit from dorman but the same idea.

Ive read through alot of threads that actually said just using the dorman tailgate kit and using the bushings from it, is a better product and works better than the dorman door striker kit.

As far as the door buzz goes, I was just asking that for my own reasons and doing stuff with the door open. Mine doesn't go off because of a striker bushing problem or anything like that. Just honestly the door open buzzer and the seat belt buzzer when you start up the truck just bugs the **** out of me lol.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unplug chime

get tubing for door pins

92 up had the cup holder option 91 down did not...

nuff said

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My chime was behind the heater radio area and all in one unit on the 91, when I find it on the 88 I Will post back. I dont like them, only headlight buzzers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online