door handle cable fix

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I know there is another thread about this but thought I would start one for fixes. I have fixed 2 of these now 2 different ways. The first one I tried to fix the cause of the problem which I beleive is the pivots wear out causing 2 much slop to pull the cable all the way. I ended up getting tired of messing with it and bought a new unit from ford which is a permanent fix or atleast as good as it was new but that was expensive. The second one I left the slop alone and simply tightened the cable like you would on a motorcycle. You can see in the pics where the cable mounts and how I opened it up then I welded the gap so it wouldn't pull shut and it works great now. This was quick and easy and should last a long time also but that is yet to be seen

Attachments

• IMG_1357.JPG
    IMG_1357.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1358.JPG
    IMG_1358.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1359.JPG
    IMG_1359.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 25

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The problem is the cable stretches. All you need to do is buy a new cable or do away with the cable and replace it w the rod linkage from a 91 and older

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
The problem is the cable stretches. All you need to do is buy a new cable or do away with the cable and replace it w the rod linkage from a 91 and older

Actually I don't beleive the cable stretches and you can't just buy the cable anyhow I compared the old one to the new one I bought and the only thing I could find different or wore out was the pivot pins not cable length

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
My mothers 95 F-150 had that problem, but it was the door metal ripping where the handle mechanism attached to it. We welded some spare change to it as a temporary fix until we got rid of it.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just considering starting a thread with the question " Why do I see so many of these trucks with the driver reaching out the window to open the door, most usually on the driver's side ?? "

I mean I see no less than one a day and often several different ones; at the shop, at the restaurant, in the K-Mart parking lot, at the stock-yards; everywhere I look there is someone reaching out the window to let themselves out of their Ford truck.

I have never noticed the problem on the 1980-1986 cabs.

I take it the earlier ones must have a better set-up. :dunno

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I was just considering starting a thread with the question " Why do I see so many of these trucks with the driver reaching out the window to open the door, most usually on the driver's side ?? "

I mean I see no less than one a day and often several different ones; at the shop, at the restaurant, in the K-Mart parking lot, at the stock-yards; everywhere I look there is someone reaching out the window to let themselves out of their Ford truck.

I have never noticed the problem on the 1980-1986 cabs.

I take it the earlier ones must have a better set-up. :dunno

Yep that was me just didn't have the time to fix it or the tools. Course all the time was spent trying to get my shop ready to move the tools LOL so I would say it was the tools holding me upLOL

I have heard the 80-86 models had linkage instead of the cable style and that this is also a fix by retro fitting the older one but I personaly don't know as I haven't done one

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
My mothers 95 F-150 had that problem, but it was the door metal ripping where the handle mechanism attached to it. We welded some spare change to it as a temporary fix until we got rid of it.

yep I had the same problem earlier and I ended up welding a washer in place and it was still holding good;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online